Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Sanders Surge (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9252)

Tom Joad 06-16-2015 04:39 PM

The Sanders Surge

I like Bernie and I will vote for him in the primary.

However I am afraid his support may be over-estimated due to the dedication of a relatively small number of followers. It may be like it was with Ralph Nader in 2000. He was drawing big crowds too, but in the end that translated into very few votes.

I would love to see his campaign catch fire and for him to win the White House. But realistically I don't see it happening.

Quote:

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has drawn huge crowds recently. He packed Drake University's auditorium, drew 1,000 people in New Hampshire, and the attendance was estimated at 5,000 at a stop in Minnesota.

Sanders has indicated that the numbers have surprised him. He told NPR that he's, "Stunned. Stunned. I mean I had to fight my way to get into the room. Standing room only. Minneapolis was literally beyond belief."
continued

Ike Bana 06-17-2015 10:09 AM

I'll vote for him in the primary as well. But in the end it doesn't matter to me much, as long as there's a Democrat in the White House nominating the next SCOTUS justice. The only thing I can see that will possibly save this country is a solid progressive majority on the high court. Congress is a joke. The Administrative isn't good for much outside of making the Congress look as bad as it is.

Rajoo 06-17-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Bana (Post 274974)
I'll vote for him in the primary as well. But in the end it doesn't matter to me much, as long as there's a Democrat in the White House nominating the next SCOTUS justice. The only thing I can see that will possibly save this country is a solid progressive majority on the high court. Congress is a joke. The Administrative isn't good for much outside of making the Congress look as bad as it is.

Agreed. Elections are based on money raised and Hillary and Jeb will easily outdistance their competition. Let's hope that Bernie can keep pulling Hillary to the left. As to the Republican field let's hope that Jeb gets derailed by the lunatics running in the primaries.

In the end it is the Scotus that is most important and this requires a Dem in the WH. Besides with a GOP president, every social program and education is going to be decimated even further.

BlueStreak 06-17-2015 11:36 AM

People are getting tired of the status quo in the American style Liberal vs. Conservative atmosphere. The rise of the far right of late, the Tea Party and the Religious Right is evidence of this, but quite frankly............those people are backwards idiots. Who the hell really wants their lives to be made HARDER and their jobs LESS rewarding? Morons, armed to the teeth everywhere you go? Preachers dictating social doctrine and lawmaking? Screw that.

What's more is the fact that more Americans travel abroad now than ever before.......

And they see that the horror stories of life in Europe and the wealthier Asian countries, countries far more Soshialistic than America...........is actually not all that bad.

I've often thought that as the world grows smaller and more connected, that Americans would come to see a much more clear view of the outside world and the propaganda lies foisted upon us by the existing parties and industry stooges would slowly peel away.

Regards,
Dave

Tom Joad 06-17-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 274983)
What's more is the fact that more Americans travel abroad now than ever before.......

And they see that the horror stories of life in Europe and the wealthier Asian countries, countries far more Soshialistic than America...........is actually not all that bad.

I've often thought that as the world grows smaller and more connected, that Americans would come to see a much more clear view of the outside world and the propaganda lies foisted upon us by the existing parties and industry stooges would slowly peel away.

Regards,
Dave

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Mark Twain.

finnbow 06-17-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 274983)
People are getting tired of the status quo in the American style Liberal vs. Conservative atmosphere. The rise of the far right of late, the Tea Party and the Religious Right is evidence of this, but quite frankly............those people are backwards idiots. Who the hell really wants their lives to be made HARDER and their jobs LESS rewarding? Morons, armed to the teeth everywhere you go? Preachers dictating social doctrine and lawmaking? Screw that.

Regards,
Dave

That implies that rock-ribbed conservatives have any interest whatsoever in vacationing overseas (other than all-inclusive Caribbean resorts, cruises, etc., where they get no inkling of foreign culture).

Tom Joad 06-17-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 274993)
That implies that rock-ribbed conservatives have any interest whatsoever in vacationing overseas (other than all-inclusive Caribbean resorts, cruises, etc., where they get no inkling of foreign culture).

That's OK.

Us Liberals are going to keep the borders open so that the foreign culture can come here. :D

Rajoo 06-17-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 274997)
That's OK.

Us Liberals are going to keep the borders open so that the foreign culture can come here. :D

Why thank you TJ. :D

merrylander 06-18-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 275019)
Why thank you TJ. :D

Indeed Merci Beaucoup.:)

VanishingPoi 06-28-2015 09:44 AM

Bernie Sanders Makes History By Raising More Money Than Every GOP Presidential Candid

According to The New York Times:

Mr. Sanders, the so************************t Vermont senator, running for the Democratic presidential nomination, has raised at least $8.3 million online through June 17, according to Federal Election Commission records. His campaign won’t file its initial report until July 15, but filings by ActBlue, the online fund-raising committee that serves as a conduit for Democratic campaigns, show that Mr. Sanders has brought in more money in May and the first half of June than any other Democratic candidate using ActBlue.
It’s likely that Mr. Sanders will report more than $9 million raised as of June 30, the deadline for midyear F.E.C. reports. That amount is larger than any Republican not named Mitt Romney raised in the first half of 2011.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/06/...candidate.html

Boreas 06-28-2015 10:31 AM

Delightful news! But, for understandable reasons, the corporate media still won't give him a fair or even respectful shake.

Tom Joad 07-02-2015 03:05 PM

Bernie Sanders Gaining in Iowa, Draws Crowd of 10,000 in Madison

http://www.alternet.org/bernie-sande...-10000-madison

Quote:

Bernie Sanders is gaining in Iowa, according to a new poll that shows the Vermont Senator and presidential candidate has doubled his standing in the Hawkeye state since May.

According to a Quinnipiac poll released today, Hillary Clinton still holds a sizable lead ahead of next winter’s Democratic caucuses, with 52 percent support, 19 percentage points ahead of Sanders who is favored by 33 percent of Democratic caucus-goers. The same poll had Sanders’ support at only 15 percent in early May.
Quote:

Sanders drew the largest crowds of any presidential campaign in this cycle so far in neiborhing Wisconsin last night. At a near capacity rally at the 10,000 seat Veterans Memorial Stadium in Madison, Sanders joked, “In case you haven’t noticed, there are a lot of people here.”

Tom Joad 07-27-2015 03:04 PM

National Poll Shows Bernie Sanders Beating Scott Walker, Donald Trump, Jeb Bush

Of course it's a CNN (Communist News Network) poll, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.alternet.org/election-201...trump-jeb-bush

Quote:

A just released CNN poll finds Sanders out-polling all of the GOP's major candidates, though pretty much tied with Jeb Bush. Here's how Sanders stacks up:

SANDERS: 48%
BUSH: 47%

SANDERS: 48%
WALKER: 42%

SANDERS: 59%
TRUMP: 38%

bobabode 07-27-2015 03:27 PM

Ouch, that's gotta smart. :D

Rajoo 07-27-2015 04:01 PM

I can see Hillary as the VP, after all she has a lot experience standing subserviently next to a President. :)

icenine 07-27-2015 04:12 PM

I think he is raising too many expectations that cannot be met, like yesterday when he said he would propose a Constitutional amendment to repeal Citizen's United. Hillary has a better chance to win Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico, especially if she picks someone like Castro as VP.

Hillary is more likely to be able to legislatively get things done also. Will Sanders win Ohio, Virginia or Florida if say Bush or Kasich are on the ticket? Close call.

Rajoo 07-27-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 279539)
I think he is raising too many expectations that cannot be met, like yesterday when he said he would propose a Constitutional amendment to repeal Citizen's United. Hillary has a better chance to win Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico, especially if she picks someone like Castro as VP.

Hillary is more likely to be able to legislatively get things done also. Will Sanders win Ohio, Virginia or Florida if say Bush or Kasich are on the ticket? Close call.

This is why the right wing is leading the country by it's nose while the left is forever compromising and backtracking from it's core principles.

icenine 07-27-2015 04:56 PM

I don't think Sanders can carry the top of a national ticket.

Rajoo 07-27-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 279546)
I don't think Sanders can carry the top of a national ticket.

Not Sanders, I realize that but need to get HRC to change her campaign platform and for that she needs to come out of hiding. Bernie seems to be doing that effectively. Would I attend a Hillary campaign or listen to Pandora? ;)

Tom Joad 07-27-2015 06:43 PM

Bernie Sanders Cited And Fined For Resisting Arrest

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrier...isting-arrest/

Quote:

.... in the summer of 1963, he committed his crime.

The Chicago Tribune reported the story months later, on January 14, 1964, on page 6 of section 1 (emphasis added):

The cases of 159 persons arrested in racial demonstrations last summer were disposed of yesterday before Judge Gordon B. Nash in Jury court.

Four persons were found guilty and fined $25 each. Twenty-two persons were found guilty but their fines were suspended. The remaining 133 defendants were discharged.

The 159 were arrested during demonstrations at four locations during which they protested alleged segregation in the city’s public schools.

The defendants sang in the hallway as they awaited trial in the fifth floor courtroom in the Criminal court building, but sheriff’s police put a halt to the singing.

The four found guilty and fined were William Devine, 32, of 1052 Sheridan rd.; John Harkins, 27, of 313 Hawthorne lane, Hoffman Estates; John Anderson, 18, of 6514 Ross av.; and Bernard Sanders, 21, of 5411 University av.

Devine was arrested Dec. 9 at the school board offices and charged with criminal trespass. Harkins was arrested Aug. 2 at 75th and Lowe and charged with resisting a police officer. Anderson was arrested Aug. 13 at 73d and Lowe and charged with battery, and Sanders was arrested Aug. 12 at 74th and Lowe and charged with resisting arrest.

Miss Willie Whiting, assistant state’s attorney, told the court that the four were in positions of leadership and engineered the demonstrations.

bobabode 07-27-2015 06:52 PM

Good for Bernie. :)

Tom Joad 07-27-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 279555)
Good for Bernie. :)

It pays to have been on the right side of history.

Tom Joad 08-05-2015 11:15 AM

Sanders trails Clinton by 6 points in New Hampshire

LClosin in!:)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/politi...ampshire-wmur/

Quote:

(CNN)A new poll finds Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders trailing Hillary Clinton by just 6 points in the crucial nominating state of New Hampshire.

A WMUR Granite State Poll released Tuesday shows Sanders with 36% support among likely Democratic primary voters and Clinton -- the frontrunner for the nomination -- at 42%.

The poll is similar to WMUR's survey in June that found Clinton led Sanders 43% to 35%. The new poll, taken July 22-30, shows Sanders' initial surge has some staying power.

Boreas 08-05-2015 12:12 PM

This makes me happy but it's important to remember that NH is right next door to Sanders' home state of Vermont so they know him well and may evenb regard him as sort of a "favorite Step-son".

Rex E. 08-05-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 280326)
This makes me happy but it's important to remember that NH is right next door to Sanders' home state of Vermont so they know him well and may evenb regard him as sort of a "favorite Step-son".

I think he's doing well in Iowa as well.....far from home and the left....

catswiththum 08-05-2015 08:36 PM

I don't agree with Sanders on many things, but I like him - you at least know where he stands.

Unfortunately, Congress (both parties) would chew him up if he made it to the WH.

Boreas 08-05-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catswiththum (Post 280437)
I don't agree with Sanders on many things, but I like him - you at least know where he stands.

Unfortunately, Congress (both parties) would chew him up if he made it to the WH.

I don't think the Democrats would give him all that much trouble but if, as is likely, Congress remains in Republican hands (I won't say Republican control), any Democratic president will get the Obama treatment.

djv8ga 08-05-2015 08:42 PM

Interesting to see the Dems going for the seniors this time. I always thought it was smart of them to put out young candidates. I've often wondered why the GOP never tried the same strategy.

catswiththum 08-05-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 280441)
I don't think the Democrats would give him all that much trouble but if, as is likely, Congress remains in Republican hands (I won't say Republican control), any Democratic president will get the Obama treatment.

Everyone always complains about gridlock - this is the way our system was designed - I marvel at the genius of it. I prefer an executive branch of one party and a Congress held by another.

It is contentious, argumentative, and infuriatingly slow - but it is exactly that nerve grinding, snail's pace process that allows all sides to be heard (ad nauseam at times) and no policies that will affect the lives of millions to be made with undue haste in an arbitrary fashion.

It demands intelligent, driven people to make it work well - Bill Clinton and a Republican Congress could barely stand the sight of each other, but put that aside and passed a great many bills and balanced the budget.

bobabode 08-05-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catswiththum (Post 280449)
Everyone always complains about gridlock - this is the way our system was designed - I marvel at the genius of it. I prefer an executive branch of one party and a Congress held by another.

It is contentious, argumentative, and infuriatingly slow - but it is exactly that nerve grinding, snail's pace process that allows all sides to be heard (ad nauseam at times) and no policies that will affect the lives of millions to be made with undue haste in an arbitrary fashion.

It demands intelligent, driven people to make it work well - Bill Clinton and a Republican Congress could barely stand the sight of each other, but put that aside and passed a great many bills and balanced the budget.

Ayup. Ye olde three legged milking stool. Pssssst, we're going to flip the Senate in '16. :)

JJIII 08-06-2015 05:21 AM

Quote:

Unless you throw in an Executive Order now and then.;)

Rajoo 08-06-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 280493)
Unless you throw in an Executive Order now and then.;)

That's the Boehner effect and think of it as antitrust for the GOP. House has voted 54 times to limit, defund or repeal Obamacare. So how do you define insanity again? :rolleyes:

Boreas 08-06-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Do you approve of the way the Republicans in Congress have behaved toward the president?

icenine 08-06-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 280498)
Do you approve of the way the Republicans in Congress have behaved toward the president?

They have not seen him as legitimate except on one issue...the TTP deal.
I suppose if he came out for Keystone they would welcome it. I still believe the debt default of 2011 and the Cruz shutdown would not have happened with a white President.

The idiot on Morning Joe was whining about how Obama was "equating" the hardliners in Iran with hardliners in the GOP Senate re the recent Iran nuke deal, forgetting of course that just a few days ago a Republican GOP candidate was equating Obama with the Holocaust.

JJIII 08-06-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 280496)
That's the Boehner effect and think of it as antitrust for the GOP. House has voted 54 times to limit, defund or repeal Obamacare. So how do you define insanity again? :rolleyes:

I wasn't speaking of any particular administration. Th e EO can be and has been abused by many.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/e...-in-one-chart/

That's a lot of EOs, don't ask me how many were the right thing to do.

Rajoo 08-06-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 280508)
I wasn't speaking of any particular administration. Th e EO can be and has been abused by many.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/e...-in-one-chart/

That's a lot of EOs, don't ask me how many were the right thing to do.

You got me there. :)
Thanks for the interesting bar chart.

Tom Joad 08-10-2015 11:08 AM

28,000 last night in Portland!

15,000 the night before in Seattle.

And tonight it's Los Angeles!

The left coast loves them some Bernie!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...campaign-says/

Quote:

Sanders, the independent senator from Vermont who has emerged as the leading alternative to Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination, appeared at a Portland arena with a capacity close to 20,000, aides said. An additional 8,000 people gathered in overflow areas set up for the event, aides said, citing numbers provided by officials from the venue.

bobabode 08-10-2015 12:47 PM

The scuttlebutt has it that the alleged 'B.L.M.' protester who jumped Bernie in Seattle is a Sarah Palin minion. :rolleyes:

Bernie should come down to Orange county after LA. We are the home of the 'free range' Tea Partiers who drive around in Porsche, Audi and Mercedes SUVs.

Tom Joad 08-10-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 280712)
Bernie should come down to Orange county after LA.

He's in LA tonight.

What's that?

10 minutes away from you on the Interstate?

What the Hell do you want?

Him to come to your front door? :rolleyes:

Rajoo 08-10-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 280715)
He's in LA tonight.

What's that?

10 minutes away from you on the Interstate?

What the Hell do you want?

Him to come to your front door? :rolleyes:

LA = Hollywood, Orange County = Disneyland.
Therein lies the difference. And actually would be a lot faster to fly from Burbank to John Wayne airport to get to Orange County. :D