Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Posters (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=8152)

Pukka Sahib 09-09-2014 09:32 AM

Posters

This discussion forum has a good membership base; and, yet, very few members post here. I wonder why? Is the forum too saccharine? Are there no opposing views? Are the members late for Homeroom Class in High School?

JJIII 09-09-2014 09:56 AM

In my opinion we lost quite a few regular posters when things started to get personal and nasty. In the beginning we had spirited discussions and opposing viewpoints but remained friendly. Later, some more people joined and trollish behavior started to infect the forum. Good people got tired of it and wanted no part of it. A few still check back from time to time but I fear they see a lot of the same thing and leave again.

I wish we could get back to civil discussions again.

piece-itpete 09-09-2014 10:05 AM

No you don't.

http://i.imgur.com/eb5owLN.gif

http://i.imgur.com/iDtSyfL.gif

:D

Pete

icenine 09-09-2014 10:15 AM

There are many lurkers here, some just like to watch from the sidelines.

barbara 09-09-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 241353)
In my opinion we lost quite a few regular posters when things started to get personal and nasty. In the beginning we had spirited discussions and opposing viewpoints but remained friendly. Later, some more people joined and trollish behavior started to infect the forum. Good people got tired of it and wanted no part of it. A few still check back from time to time but I fear they see a lot of the same thing and leave again.

I agree.

Rajoo 09-09-2014 11:17 AM

It's hard work to refute a message but the messenger can be shot from the hip in an instant.

donquixote99 09-09-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 241365)
It's hard work to refute a message but the messenger can be shot from the hip in an instant.

That's just the sort of thing we've come to expect from you!

(Insightful and appropos, that is....) :)

piece-itpete 09-09-2014 01:08 PM

https://imgflip.com/i/byenu

;)

Pete

ebacon 09-09-2014 01:42 PM

I was hoping this thread announced a free PC wall poster to match my complimentary PC thong.

icenine 09-09-2014 01:52 PM

To be quite frank you cannot discuss politics without being personal since it is a very personal issue, as is religion. Sometimes things get a bit testy, but if you are here all the time and upset about it you might as well leave. I find it sort of funny that people decrying personal attacks here at PC have also been here viewing it everyday.

piece-itpete 09-09-2014 01:59 PM

It was nicer not long ago regardless.

Pete

Rajoo 09-09-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 241406)
To be quite frank you cannot discuss politics without being personal since it is a very personal issue, as is religion. Sometimes things get a bit testy, but if you are here all the time and upset about it you might as well leave. I find it sort of funny that people decrying personal attacks here at PC have also been here viewing it everyday.

Probably what this discussion is about.

JJIII 09-09-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 241406)
To be quite frank you cannot discuss politics without being personal since it is a very personal issue, as is religion.

True, but we can treat each other with respect, even if it means swallowing hard at times.

Sometimes things get a bit testy, but if you are here all the time and upset about it you might as well leave. I find it sort of funny that people decrying personal attacks here at PC have also been here viewing it everyday.

Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.:)

icenine 09-09-2014 02:06 PM

I think the real issue with PC is moral ambiguity inherent on the net. My personal world order instilled by the US military in conjunction with liberal arts degree (with the emphasis on LIBERAL arts tought by guys who gained their tenure in the 1960s) has boundaries that when I see questioned make me want to go nuclear.

piece-itpete 09-09-2014 02:12 PM

https://imgflip.com/i/byhf7

;)

Pete

donquixote99 09-09-2014 02:16 PM

Too good to be hidden behind a link, Pete!

https://i.imgflip.com/byhcv.jpg

bobabode 09-09-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 241416)

Nuthin' wrong with civility. :)

icenine 09-09-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 241422)

Pete is pretty debonair in a suave, urbane sort of way, something not indicative by the content of his posts.
;)

Rajoo 09-09-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 241422)

There is a reason, he does not want to start a beer war. :)

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/p...uck-8cbc21.jpg

piece-itpete 09-09-2014 02:44 PM

LOL! Coronas for all.

I'm very urbane :o

And "enlightened, intelligent, sophisticated, charming, non-narcissistic, debonair, suave, dashing..."

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...966c208b13.jpg

And very very befittingly modest as is fitting of someone as amazingly awesome as I am. Of course.

Pete

Rajoo 09-09-2014 03:03 PM

Missed ambiguous but I see you have the power to be whatever you want to be on this forum. ;)

piece-itpete 09-09-2014 03:15 PM

"All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything."

We're all special here at PC.

Pete

bobabode 09-09-2014 03:16 PM

Pete's ambiguously ambidextrous. :rolleyes:

bobabode 09-09-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 241439)
"All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything."

We're all special here at PC.

Pete

Sweater vester. :D

ebacon 09-09-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 241442)
Sweater vester. :D

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :D

Back on topic, I have not been posting much because I do not have much to write about. I babbled about politics on three boards since about 2006 and sounded like a broken record on every one.

I still read this board because you all are on the hot topics and better than Twitter IMO (gag). In other words I am still a student. If it is any consolation, at least know that someone that is not posting is at least reading. :)

d-ray657 09-09-2014 10:15 PM

I have been posting less because I have been working more. That said, when my time is limited, I hesitate to spend time watching a playground shoving match -particularly when both the Royals and the Cardinals are in pennant races.

Regards,

D-Ray

HarmanKardon 09-10-2014 03:22 AM

I started in July 2013. I don't know how bad it was then, because I was new. Things became extremely worse earlier this year but since some arsonists left the show it became much better again. Thanks go to D-Ray and Pete...

Dondilion 09-10-2014 09:27 AM

I post moderately. I am more interested in international politics, and I am
extremely cynical about national politics.

I try to avoid derogatory name calling and pissing contests.

Still you have to know your posters.

Don Quixote - takes you into side issues with constant oblique questions.

Zeke - aspires to intellectualism.

Bob - extremely partisan.

Finnbow - very knowledgeable; does not easily concede.

Ike - knowledgeable; explosive vocab especially re Israel.

Pete - beware of his one liner.

Tom Joad - similar disposition as Ike; his thing is race.

donquixote99 09-10-2014 10:08 AM

Cool! I'm at the top of the list!

Do you have any pets, Don?

Zeke 09-10-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 241480)

Don Quixote - take you into side issues with constant oblique questions.

Zeke - aspire to intellectualism.

Damn.

That was pretty impressive.

Well done, sir.

Dondilion 09-10-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 241481)
Cool! I'm at the top of the list!

Do you have any pets, Don?

Yes. (Answer to a side question. Be careful you do not know where this is leading.)

donquixote99 09-10-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 241484)
Yes. (Answer to a side question. Be careful you do not know where this is leading.)

Nowhere--this is just for fun... :)

But thanks for the response. Is it a guard dog?

BlueStreak 09-10-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 241353)

Yes, I remember when everything was cordial and utopian too. Coming here was like standing in a ray of sunshine. Kind of like how everything was so much better way back when......................

:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak 09-10-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 241455)
I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :D

Back on topic, I have not been posting much because I do not have much to write about. I babbled about politics on three boards since about 2006 and sounded like a broken record on every one.

I still read this board because you all are on the hot topics and better than Twitter IMO (gag). In other words I am still a student. If it is any consolation, at least know that someone that is not posting is at least reading. :)

There is that too. The futility of banging ones head against the wall grows old.

Dave

djv8ga 09-10-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 241502)
Yes, I remember when everything was cordial and utopian too. Coming here was like standing in a ray of sunshine. Kind of like how everything was so much better way back when......................

:rolleyes:

Dave

+ 1. :rolleyes:

bobabode 09-10-2014 01:22 PM

That's hyper partisan if you please Dondi ;). Why anyone would vote republican't these days is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Ike Bana 09-10-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 241480)

Don Quixote - take you into side issues with constant oblique questions.

Zeke - aspire to intellectualism.

You should hear the blonde's vocab. Makes Deb Morgan sound downright genteel.

mpholland 09-10-2014 08:54 PM

I have chosen not to post much recently because I have been easily irritated and quick to anger since my son was killed. If and when (at some point in the near future I hope) I feel a bit more rational, I will probably join back in some heated fun. Until then, I will probably just be content with the occasional drive-by.

Marc

Dondilion 09-10-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 241544)
I have chosen not to post much recently because I have been easily irritated and quick to anger since my son was killed.

Marc

It is really hard to imagine being in your space.

I hope you find ways to grapple with the pain.

MikeG22 09-10-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 241469)
I have been posting less because I have been working more. That said, when my time is limited, I hesitate to spend time watching a playground shoving match -particularly when both the Royals and the Cardinals are in pennant races.

Regards,

D-Ray

+1 I've been working too much and then dealing with crap around the house. Spackling, painting, pulling carpets, finishing floors, hanging lights, trim work, bleh bleh. Not even any time to listen to my stereo, its just wrong I tell ya.