Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Climate March draws massive crowd to D.C. in sweltering heat (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11665)

bobabode 04-29-2017 04:34 PM

Climate March draws massive crowd to D.C. in sweltering heat

"On a sweltering April day, tens of thousands of demonstrators assembled in Washington on Saturday for the latest installment of the regular protests that punctuate the Trump era. This large-scale climate march marked President Trump’s first 100 days in office, which have already seen multiple rollbacks of environmental protections and Obama climate policies.
The Peoples Climate March, which originated with a massive demonstration in New York in September 2014, picked a symbolically striking day for its 2017 event. The temperature reached 91 degrees at D.C.’s National Airport at 2:59 p.m., tying a heat record for April 29 in the district set in 1974 — which only amplified the movement’s message.
On the eve of the march, the Environmental Protection Agency announced that it was beginning an overhaul of its website, which included taking down a long-standing site devoted to the science of climate change, which the agency said was “under review.”
“Hang on EPA, the midterms are coming. 2018,” read one sign carried by Kathy Sommer of Stony Brook, N.Y, as the protest assembled on the National Mall Saturday morning.
“There is no Planet B,” read another sign by Eva Gunther of Washington, D.C., displaying one of the most popular and oft repeated messages of the event (and of last week’s March for Science).
Hillary Clinton tweeted praise of the marchers Saturday afternoon, writing, “Great to see ppl take to the streets & combat climate change, protect the next generation & fight for jobs & economic justice.”
President Trump was in Pennsylvania for a rally on Saturday and did not tweet any immediate reaction.
Many of the signs at Saturday’s climate march were dark and ominous, warning of climate catastrophe, dying oceans, crop destruction and planet degradation. But the mood of the marchers was anything but somber. It was a racially diverse crowd with marchers of all ages. There were women with flowers in their hair. A man dressed in Uncle Sam overalls. There were little girls in strawberry sundresses and boys in baseball caps astride their fathers’ shoulders.
There were babies in strollers, like the boy who’d traveled with his family from Nashville and was now rolling down Pennsylvania Avenue carrying a sign that read, “Less pollution, more solutions.” There were elderly folks, too, such as 91-year-old Dorothy Peterson, who had traveled from Pittsburgh. She had a sun hat that resembled the earth and carried a sign in her wheelchair that read, “Mother Earth is older than me. Respect your elders.”
“It’s beautiful,” said Allison Dale, a geologist from Conshohocken, Pa. “it’s so well organized and everyone is really friendly and in a really good mood.”
The protest itself smelled of sweat and sunscreen and the occasional whiff of incense. It sounded like a drum circle – a never-ending drum circle – but not only that. The cacophony included banjos and boomboxes and at least one kazoo, tambourines and ukuleles and, yes, cowbell. Lots of cowbell. At one point, a full-on brass band – tubas, trombones, trumpets – waltzed by in full swing in front of the White House, while a man on stilts danced amid the musicians.
There were chants, of course:
“Shame, shame, shame!”
“Hey hey, ho ho, Scott Pruitt has got to go!”
“Resistance is here to stay, welcome to your 100th day.”
But none more ubiquitous than, “The oceans are rising and so are we!” WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.656c4eafa5b3

Wish I was there. Give 'em hell people! :D

whell 04-30-2017 10:33 AM

Nice to have the lunatic fringe concentrated in one spot. It means that much of the rest of the country was civil, peaceful and quiet.

Chicks 04-30-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 352748)
Nice to have the lunatic fringe concentrated in one spot. It means that much of the rest of the country was civil, peaceful and quiet.

So, in your mind, those who trust actual scientific research are the lunatic fringe? You are dumber than I thought.

finnbow 04-30-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 352749)
So, in your mind, those who trust actual scientific research are the lunatic fringe? You are dumber than I thought.

His ilk believes that facts, logic and science all have a liberal bias.

donquixote99 04-30-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Nice to know you continue to be a civil, informative poster, just like Dondillion says.

bobabode 04-30-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Sorry to break it to ya, Sparky. ;)

"DETROIT -- Local activists plan to gather for an environmental justice march this weekend in Detroit in a rally mirroring the People's Climate March in Washington D.C.
At noon on Saturday, groups will gather at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, 315 E. Warren Ave. and begin marching at 12:45.
Many Michigan activists were also being bused to Washington on Friday for the larger march." http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ate_march.html

whell 05-01-2017 02:28 PM

Hate to break it to you, but if anyone marched down there yesterday, no one noticed. My wife and kids were right up the street yesterday at the Science Center and didn't report seeing anything unusual and parking / navigation was apparently not an issue.

whell 05-01-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 352749)

Those who invest themselves in science for politics sake are the lunatic fringe. Enjoy life on the edge, Chicks. :rolleyes:

whell 05-01-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 352768)
Nice to know you continue to be a civil, informative poster, just like Dondillion says.

Thank you. I also love posters like you who tell me to go fuck myself when I voice an opinion. So, spare me your whiney comments, snowflake.

whell 05-01-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 352765)
His ilk believes that facts, logic and science all have a liberal bias.

Especially when they're spouted ad nauseum by liberals with an agenda. You know the type.