Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Unemployment Line (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Massive spending on infrastructure will not create mucho jobs. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=8221)

Dondilion 10-02-2014 02:20 PM

Massive spending on infrastructure will not create mucho jobs.

The article projects several misconceptions; chief of them that a government special project infrastructure spending will have the impact on employment similar to that of the new deal era.

What a lot of analysts fail to see is that modern capitalists find ingenious ways to use fewer people to do more work...building roads is an example.

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...tagnation.html

merrylander 10-02-2014 02:33 PM

So then to hell with it let's just let the damn country fall apart. Besides if you take the government's money you do it their way.

Several years ago they re-decked the American Legion bridge between Maryland and Virginia. The contractor was going t use prestressed concrete panels and get an early completion bonus but the government said no.

Dondilion 10-02-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 243929)
So then to hell with it let's just let the damn country fall apart.

I am not against infrastructure repairs per se: I am just not bullish on the
number of jobs projected by some proponents.

Tom Joad 10-02-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 243926)
What a lot of analysts fail to see is that modern capitalists find ingenious ways to use fewer people to do more work...building roads is an example.

Modern capitalists find ways to increase worker productivity but then keep all the savings for themselves rather than increase workers compensation. In fact the modern business model is to squeeze more and more production out of workers while at the same time decreasing their compensation.

That's why I favor having the government hire the people and do the work in-house rather than contracting it out.

Dondilion 10-02-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 243940)

That's why I favor having the government hire the people and do the work in-house rather than contracting it out.

Excellent point!

merrylander 10-03-2014 08:37 AM

It has also been found that contracting work out has cost more than doing it in house. Example the recent ACA signup fiascoes. Oh but private industry is allegedly so very competent.

bobabode 10-03-2014 12:46 PM

"A new report by the International Labor Organization, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the World Bank found that high unemployment and low wage growth are the two key problems facing the world economy today. The report identified these issues not as mere symptoms but rather as the causes of the slow recovery from the 2008 financial crisis."

I think I see the OPs problem. ;)

bobabode 10-03-2014 12:50 PM

Maybe it's time to reconstitute the WPA and beef up the CCC? I would be happy to volunteer and sit in my air conditioned big gubmint provided Airstream out in the Mojave while strawbossing former hedgefund managers filling potholes. ;)

Tom Joad 10-03-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 243979)
Maybe it's time to reconstitute the WPA and beef up the CCC? I would be happy to volunteer and sit in my air conditioned big gubmint provided Airstream out in the Mojave while strawbossing former hedgefund managers filling potholes. ;)

It's a nice thought, but the facts are most of those hedgefund managers are still making out like bandits. And mega millionaires aren't going to be applying for those CCC jobs.

piece-itpete 10-07-2014 12:10 PM

I had a, um, stay in an old CCC complex back when I was a teen.

Very well built, very large. Very military-ish.

Their stone work that's all over the parks here (bridges, stairs, overlooks etc) is first class, still in great shape. I doubt there's many who could reproduce it now.

Pete