Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Read any good books lately? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=4289)

barbara 07-10-2012 07:04 PM

Read any good books lately?

I just finished reading "Enrique's Journey" by Sonia Nazario.
This book brings the plight of those who illegally immigrate up close and personal.
The book does not take a stance on illegal immigration, but, identifies many of the reasons and risks people take to get to the United States in a way that humanizes the whole issue.
Regardless of where you stand on the illegal immigration issue, it is a good read.

Boreas 07-10-2012 08:22 PM

There was a movie shown on PBS years ago which told the same story.It's called"El Norte". You can watch it on Netflix.

John

mezz 07-12-2012 09:11 PM

Just got through this:

Brutal: The Untold Story of My Life Inside Whitey Bulger's Irish Mob by Kevin Weeks and Phyllis Karas.

Mostly a local interest book. I found it entertaining because I knew some of the folks all of the places and was familiar with most of the events mentioned in it. Gotta take some of these stories with a grain of salt though. This is after all a criminal writing his autobiography .

bobabode 07-12-2012 09:28 PM

Kinda telling who you're heroes are mezz. Are you lace curtain or a southie?

Boreas 07-12-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 112208)

I'm guessing the Town.

John

mezz 07-12-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 112208)

No heroes, just people I knew and knew of. I'm from Dot, but the part which is very close to Southie. I grew up about a five minute walk from where Weeks did. Nobody uses terms like lace curtian anymore. Not around Boston anyway. My father moved us out to the suburbs before busing started. We were the only ones though. All of my cousins stayed in Dot and/or Southie. They're all big shots now... and I'm posting on politicalchat.org with all you winners;) Go figure.

Boreas 07-12-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezz (Post 112217)
They're all big shots now... and I'm posting on politicalchat.org with all you winners;) Go figure.

There go those feelings of inadequacy again!

John

mezz 07-13-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 112222)

John

Well. It's the company you keep. This upcoming election has me feeling particularly powerful though. How this boob can be running such an unpresidential campaign and expecting to win is almost as embarrassing as his job performance over the past three years has been. I know it's got you liberals depressed, but this could be a therapeutic and even a 'learning' moment for you (as indeed it has been for some of you already). Come to terms with your mistake in '08, admit Obama has been a failure and you were mislead, and hope for a half-decent democrat to surface in 2016. Why punish the country and completely dash any and all chances of having a competent democrat in the whitehouse in 2016 by trying to keep Obama in there now. You can start by asking yourself if you'd prefer to see another democrat running right now instead of Obama. Surely someone with better work experience, or even none (anything but the record of failure Obama is desperately trying to hide this election would surely be better). Then face the reality that that can't happen now and won't happen in 2016 either if Obama were to by some miracle be re-elected and bring the party down even lower with his antics by then.

BlueStreak 07-13-2012 07:56 AM

"Winner takes All"----A real eye opener.

BlueStreak 07-13-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 112222)

John

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezz (Post 112248)
Well. It's the company you keep. This upcoming election has me feeling particularly powerful though. How this boob can be running such an unpresidential campaign and expecting to win is almost as embarrassing as his job performance over the past three years has been. I know it's got you liberals depressed, but this could be a therapeutic and even a 'learning' moment for you (as indeed it has been for some of you already). Come to terms with your mistake in '08, admit Obama has been a failure and you were mislead, and hope for a half-decent democrat to surface in 2016. Why punish the country and completely dash any and all chances of having a competent democrat in the whitehouse in 2016 by trying to keep Obama in there now. You can start by asking yourself if you'd prefer to see another democrat running right now instead of Obama. Surely someone with better work experience, or even none (anything but the record of failure Obama is desperately trying to hide this election would surely be better). Then face the reality that that can't happen now and won't happen in 2016 either if Obama were to by some miracle be re-elected and bring the party down even lower with his antics by then.

So, have you read any interesting books lately, Mezz? Or is you ongoing education limited to the EIB network and the voices in your head?