Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Unemployment Line (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Will they extend unemployment ? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=940)

Grumpy 02-25-2010 07:09 AM

Will they extend unemployment ?

For many its set to expire this Sunday in Michigan. Will or should they extend it ? Whats your thoughts.

Grumpy

merrylander 02-25-2010 07:19 AM

Extend it. BTW I see Senator Brown voted for the job creation bill much to the displeasure of McConnell.:D

noonereal 02-25-2010 07:37 AM

Yes we need to and it will be.

They ought to do something about the self employed who have had to closed down as well, but they won't.

Boreas 02-25-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 20853)
Yes we need to and it will be.

They ought to do something about the self employed who have had to closed down as well, but they won't.

How many Republicans will vote for it?

John

Grumpy 02-25-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 20869)

John

How many democrats would ? Hell these morons cannot even pass a health care bill they want when in the majority ;)

Fast_Eddie 02-25-2010 09:52 AM

Already see the bastards with the (R)s after their names on TV yacking about how unemployment is a dis-insentive to people to find a job. Ass holes.

Charles 02-25-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 20869)

John

Bush and the Republicans extended it several years ago.

I know, because I had just fired a sonofabitch who was begging for it. I should have contested his benefits, because he didn't deserve them, but as he was one of my buddy's brothers, I didn't.

He drew benefits until they ran out, the whole time working for cash. And in case anyone doesn't know it, the employer is responsible for any payments from UEI.

Cost me several thousand dollars a year, for several years, until my account once again had a positive balance.

And that was my FINAL lesson on nice guys finish last.

I don't expect to experience this again.

Chas

Boreas 02-25-2010 07:21 PM

The House passed a stop-gap extension today. It's designed to keep the existing benefits in effect for a further month whole the Congress debates a new bill. There was also a COBRA subsidy of some kind in it.

It was passed on a voice vote so we don't really know who voted for or against it.

The measure is in the Senate now. We'll see.

There was a previous extension as part of the Stimulus bill and again in November.

John

noonereal 02-25-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 20960)

He drew benefits until they ran out, the whole time working for cash. And in case anyone doesn't know it, the employer is responsible for any payments from UEI.

Chas

I am well aware.:mad:

As a result I don't hire anyone, I contract them.

Charles 02-25-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 20966)
I am well aware.:mad:

As a result I don't hire anyone, I contract them.

That's kind of a sly maneuver, don't you think?

Do you collect Certificates of Insurance or deal only with corperations? Otherwise, you're responsible for Worker's Compensation...provided you carry it.

Chas