Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hurricane Maria is a cat-5 (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11980)

bobabode 09-18-2017 08:05 PM

Hurricane Maria is a cat-5

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americ...lee/index.html

"Maria is developing the dreaded pinhole eye," a very small, perfect inner core of a very intense hurricane, the center said." CNN

This will be hitting the island of Dominica tonight and is headed for Puerto Rico on Weds. :(

donquixote99 09-18-2017 08:23 PM

When does this hurricane season become the worst ever? :(

bobabode 09-18-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 361352)
When does this hurricane season become the worst ever? :(

I can't imagine what the people on Dominica are going through tonight, I fear people are dying as we speak. :(

Chicks 09-19-2017 12:56 AM

And the conservative radio blowhards will be assuring their idiot listeners tomorrow that this has nothing to do with global warming...

Dondilion 09-19-2017 04:36 AM

Recently rode out the center of hurricane Irma in Central Florida while visiting relatives and noticed the public disruption it caused and the fear it generated...at times near panic.

There was a mad rush by some Floridians to head north, often undertaken without adequate plans. The availability of gas was a huge problem for them.

Florida has particular challenges. Its flatness, its large senior population and its love of wild animals, especially the gators. It seems every housing complex is designed with a pond nearby to accommodate the gators. In the case of flooding they become an issue. :D

There was no damage to my relatives' home. I guess the fact that by the time Irma reached Central Florida it had reduced punch helped.

Much farther up the road, however, a senior citizens home was completely flooded out...water level up to the window. It seems the home was built near a creek.

Post Irma brought more disasters. Lack of air conditioning caused the death of ten seniors and several people died from carbon monoxide poisoning coming from poorly placed generators.

Hurricanes are part of the Florida landscape. Floridians have to learn to deal with them with adequate planning and a sense of calm.

bobabode 09-20-2017 07:04 PM

Direct hit on Puerto Rico today. :(

Rajoo 09-20-2017 07:58 PM

And without power throughout the island. Cannot imagine how the emergency services and hospitals can operate without power for too long.

Dondilion 09-20-2017 11:13 PM

I feel it for my many Puerto Rican friends. The island has been experiencing some bad times. They have been struggling and this really should set them back.

The island have lost a lot of professionals especially to Central Florida...many nurses and doctors. Maria will unfortunately accelerate the brain drain. The Puerto Rican community in Central Florida is a growing vibrant one and is a welcome counter weight to the right wing Cubans in the south of Florida.

La Isla de Encanta is hurting. I spent some good times on the island.

Dondilion 09-23-2017 10:14 AM

Puerto Rico dam failure imminent.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41368478

Chicks 09-23-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 361403)
I feel it for my many Puerto Rican friends. The island has been experiencing some bad times.

La Isla de Encanta is hurting. I spent some good times on the island.

I was in San Juan briefly while serving in the Navy. Beautiful place. Damned shame, this hurricane, and only going to get worse while the current administration continues to ignore the hard science. Sad.

MrPots 09-23-2017 05:00 PM

"and only going to get worse while the current administration continues to ignore the hard science. Sad"

Our political culture is going to have to come to grips with and draw a definitive line between our predatory capitalism and the roll of government, as our government is really just an extension of predatory capitalism, and there is no possibility of our government ever being a representative of the people until it does.

Our elections systems are already a big joke and I'm failing to understand why we even go along with it.

Delta Flight 09-24-2017 10:17 AM

Did Trump ever donate the 1M dollars he pledged to the Sandy and Harvey funds yet?

finnbow 09-26-2017 06:47 AM

Trump finally says something about devastated Puerto Rico via Twitter after spending days raging against the NFL:

Texas & Florida are doing great but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble...

...It's old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars....

...owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities - and doing well.

Funny, I don't remember him ragging on Houston for their lack of land-use planning, zoning, etc. that exacerbated their flooding.

barbara 09-26-2017 09:23 AM

Hurricane Maria is a cat-5

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 361661)
Trump finally says something about devastated Puerto Rico via Twitter after spending days raging against the NFL:

Texas & Florida are doing great but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble...

...It's old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars....

...owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities - and doing well.

Funny, I don't remember him ragging on Houston for their lack of land-use planning, zoning, etc. that exacerbated their flooding.

He only said something about Puerto Rico after news reports pointed out his lack of response.
That seems to be a pattern we've seen before.

Pio1980 09-26-2017 09:24 AM

Ratings, he's all about the ratings.

Chicks 09-26-2017 09:35 AM

PR governor:
"We need something tangible, a bill that actually answers to our need right now," he said. "Otherwise, there will be ... a massive exodus to the (mainland) United States."

Oh, won't our racist in chief love that!

MrPots 09-26-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 361661)

That's because those in Houston have mostly white skin, those in Puerto Rico don't, and white people MUST ALWAYS lecture brown skinned people on how inferior they are.

MrPots 09-26-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 361669)
PR governor:
"We need something tangible, a bill that actually answers to our need right now," he said. "Otherwise, there will be ... a massive exodus to the (mainland) United States."

Oh, won't our racist in chief love that!

He will add Puerto Rico to the terrorist no travel list.

Dondilion 09-29-2017 07:48 PM

Jones Act

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...s-puerto-rico/

Chicks 09-30-2017 08:23 AM

The narcissist in chief gets nasty at the mayor of San Juan for telling the truth. Oh, no, bad optics. Can't have that! Never mind that people are dying. They're not "real Americans" after all, they didn't vote for Trump...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/30/politi...yor/index.html

barbara 09-30-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 361853)
The narcissist in chief gets nasty at the mayor of San Juan for telling the truth. Oh, no, bad optics. Can't have that! Never mind that people are dying. They're not "real Americans" after all, they didn't vote for Trump...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/30/politi...yor/index.html

It's hard to believe the leader of our country is so stupid.

Delta Flight 09-30-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 361855)
It's hard to believe the leader of our country is so stupid.

Trump is a sad excuse for a POTUS. He lacks care, compassion, integrity, honor, leadership skills etc. etc.

Jan 21st 2017 would have been a great day to have gotten rid of him.:D:)

Chicks 09-30-2017 10:01 AM

Gord Macey @GordMacey

Trump : "We can wipe North Korea off the map."

"Can you get supplies to Puerto Rico?"

Trump : "It's not that easy because of a big ocean."

Delta Flight 09-30-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 361860)
Gord Macey @GordMacey

Trump : "We can wipe North Korea off the map."

"Can you get supplies to Puerto Rico?"

Trump : "It's not that easy because of a big ocean."

LOL Room for a lot of thought there.

It is a really big, big ,big ocean!

:D:)

Chicks 09-30-2017 11:36 AM

Preet Bharara @PreetBharara
Top Trump responses to drowning person:

1. Swim better
2. You're fired
3. I'll sell you this life preserver for $1M
4. Lazy Puerto Rican

Pio1980 09-30-2017 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 361865)
Preet Bharara @PreetBharara
Top Trump responses to drowning person:

1. Swim better
2. You're fired
3. I'll sell you this life preserver for $1M
4. Lazy Puerto Rican

Here ya go.

Chicks 09-30-2017 02:39 PM

This guy is spot on. Nails Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/30/opinio...ion/index.html

Pio1980 09-30-2017 07:16 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...005d348cd2?m4p

icenine 09-30-2017 09:27 PM

Let's see:
Air drops of food and water: US Air Force and/or US Navy aircraft from forces afloat.
Delivery of food and medicine: US Army and Marine Corps ground troops.

Road clean up and infrastructure clearing: Combat engineers and US Navy Seabees.

Yeah not easy but hardly impossible.

I mean a normal President would make the attempt.

finnbow 10-01-2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 361882)
Let's see:
Air drops of food and water: US Air Force and/or US Navy aircraft from forces afloat.
Delivery of food and medicine: US Army and Marine Corps ground troops.

Road clean up and infrastructure clearing: Combat engineers and US Navy Seabees.

Yeah not easy but hardly impossible.

I mean a normal President would make the attempt.

There's the rub.

Oerets 10-01-2017 07:32 AM

Evidently when your votes don't equate to a power in congress, this President deaf to their voices.

Agreed a massive military contingency should of been on the way 12 days ago.

Barney

Delta Flight 10-01-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 361886)
Evidently when your votes don't equate to a power in congress, this President deaf to their voices.

Agreed a massive military contingency should of been on the way 12 days ago.

Barney

So why wait any longer. NOW IS THE REQUIREMENT:confused:

Pio1980 10-01-2017 09:08 AM

Because we have a self absorbed incompetent toxic buffoon in the WH.

barbara 10-01-2017 12:02 PM

But.... aside from the position Trump holds as president, his lack of interest and action to help the people in Puerto Rico, is just not how we treat others when one is a decent human being.

Anyone of us here, if we had presidential power, would be doing all we could to help.... the thought never occurs to him until the media points out his shortcoming. Then he blames the victims.... go figure.

Pio1980 10-01-2017 06:51 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...38b508dd95?3nb

bobabode 10-01-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 361916)

It's like America is in a toxic and abusive relationship with her president. Nothing good'll come of that.

donquixote99 10-01-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 361918)
It's like America is in a toxic and abusive relationship with her president. Nothing good'll come of that.

Shit fuck. If you don't mind my saying so....

bobabode 10-01-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 361921)
Shit fuck. If you don't mind my saying so....

If she starts showing an interest in firearms and explosives, all bets are off. ;)

Dondilion 10-02-2017 07:24 AM

Rubio: DoD needs to lead recovery effort.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/politi...ico/index.html

donquixote99 10-02-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 361927)
If she starts showing an interest in firearms and explosives, all bets are off. ;)

Bets are off. :(