Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hello Old People! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=1766)

Brother_Karl 09-28-2010 10:54 AM

Hello Old People!

Hey there :) My name is Brother Karl and I am 19 years old. I joined this forum because I would like to talk about world politics, philosophical conundrums and USA politics because (1) I am a geek and (2) I am currently studying the politics of the USA.

I am located in a small town in England but I dont consider myself to be English or any nationality at all.
I have never been to America but I admire the distrust of government and individual spirit that many Americans seem to hold. :cool:

Please do introduce yourselves to me on this thread so I can get to know you better. I would like to know (1) what your political leaning is, (2) what is your ideal day, (3) what is your job and (4) what is the most important political issue to you at the moment. Thanks! :D

merrylander 09-28-2010 11:43 AM

Welcome Laddie,

Conservative, but this lot thinks I am a Liberal, any day that I wake up, retired, getting some of the wingnuts out of politics.

piece-itpete 09-28-2010 11:53 AM

Howdy Limey, Yank here :)

Whereabouts in England are you? Me mum came from the Hartepool Headlands. Fresh off hanging the monkey lol.

1) Slightly to the right. As all my leftie friends would agree.
2) Off work, quiet cool morning with a good fresh breakfast, a $20 record run through garage sales, thrifts, and stores, light lunch, mess about the car a bit, or putter around the yard or house, or read, solid dinner, and a bit o' bitter (maybe two or three bits) while listening to lps and perhaps playing some cards with the wife or a fire with friends. Sometimes a road trip fits the bill too, or maybe tweaking some lefties :)
3) Sales. Need an umbrella? :D
4) Fighting the slower or faster creep of upsurped power to the Federal government. Although I believe it is now a lost cause, so I guess I'm just a thorn :grin: I might be able to stave off attacks on our prosperity single handedly though. Just kidding.

Oh, and I like to kid around too.

Do you own a car?

Pete

Brother_Karl 09-28-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 40732)
Whereabouts in England are you?

South. On the coast. Under London. In a Conservative safe seat constituency.

Quote:

2) Off work, quiet cool morning with a good fresh breakfast, a $20 record run through garage sales, thrifts, and stores, light lunch, mess about the car a bit, or putter around the yard or house, or read, solid dinner, and a bit o' bitter (maybe two or three bits) while listening to lps and perhaps playing some cards with the wife or a fire with friends. Sometimes a road trip fits the bill too, or maybe tweaking some lefties :)

Sounds great :D

Quote:

Do you own a car?

Nope. I dont really feel that I need to own a car. I dont want to waste all of my money on something that I dont really need.

piece-itpete 09-28-2010 12:33 PM

Ah the fairer south. I withdraw my umbrella comment :D

No worries with the car, I like to hear about other cars is all.

So, whats your answer to 2, 3, and 4?

Pete

Brother_Karl 09-28-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 40741)
No worries with the car, I like to hear about other cars is all.

What car do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 40741)
So, whats your answer to 2, 3, and 4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother_Karl (Post 40718)
(2) what is your ideal day,

Rainy day. Surrounded by food that will make me fat, my computer, my playstation and a few books. All phones off. Nobody in the house but me. Dinner HAS to be curry and beer. Absolute heaven :D

Quote:

(3) what is your job

Working in a supermarket part time but I am also studying Politics at college. I am a real political nerd :p

Quote:

(4) what is the most important political issue to you at the moment.

Government control over peoples lives, I think.

BlueStreak 09-28-2010 12:50 PM

1). Slightly to the left on a good day, nearly Stalinist when I get angry.:D
2). Any day I can free myself from the yoke of the capitalist machine and spend the day spinning Lps, tweaking my gear and taking naps.
3). Industrial Maintenance Mechanic. Currently, high speed canning. But I have worked in robotics, plastics injection molding, and aviation.
4). The dreaded "Social Justice" issues that Beck decries ad nauseum.

Dave

d-ray657 09-28-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Hey there :) My name is Brother Karl and I am 19 years old. I joined this forum because I would like to talk about world politics, philosophical conundrums and USA politics because (1) I am a geek and (2) I am currently studying the politics of the USA.

I am located in a small town in England but I dont consider myself to be English or any nationality at all.
I have never been to America but I admire the distrust of government and individual spirit that many Americans seem to hold. :cool:

Please do introduce yourselves to me on this thread so I can get to know you better. I would like to know (1) what your political leaning is, (2) what is your ideal day, (3) what is your job and (4) what is the most important political issue to you at the moment. Thanks! :D

Talk about someone who has learned the art of conversation - asking and listening - a good start kid, from one of the middling old farts here.

1) Pretty solidly on the left. The more I see the gap between rich and poor widen, and the lagging opportunities for the working class, the closer I get to Marxism.

2) As and empty-nester, I'm working on developing an ideal day that does not include spending time with the boys. Still, I would have to say that my favorite day would be to go on a road trip to see a ballgame with the boys, preferably to see the St. Louis Cards in the post-season. Otherwise, Pete described a pretty nice day as well.

3) I fight for truth justice and the American worker, and I get to argue for a living. I'm a partner in a small labor law firm.

4) The overwhelming voice that money owns in politics. Major financial folk are getting ready to control the airwaves before the election, spewing well-honed right-wing propaganda. It appears that the the same folks have been providing substantial backing for what has been made to look like a grass roots tea-party movement.

And, uh, I'm also kind of opinionated.:cool:

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal 09-28-2010 05:44 PM

what up brother Karl

I am a conundrum.

noonereal 09-28-2010 05:48 PM

BTW, I am fighting corporate control of my life by rallying for more government protections.