Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Buy American Thread (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=175)

merrylander 07-01-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 2105)
Next time you have to replace a gooseneck get an easy out, I carry one in my plumbing kit. I don't think you can thread any kind of plastic worth a shit.

Actually, the shower arm is made from chrome plated brass, although I have seen some white ones. I'll be more than happy to send you a chrome Moen at no cost, I've a pile of them, just PM me an address. Can't help you with brushed nickel or bronze.

It still sounds to me like someone slipped and grabbed the shower head, or stressed it in some way. They're generally pretty tough.

Chas

I think that I need to get a 1/2" NPT tap and clean out the elbow a bit as the new gooseneck only went in about three turns, though it was quite hard getting the last quarter turn, I wrapped it with teflon tape first. The new one I put is was made in Taiwan and I usually found them to be better that the mainland bunch.

Thanks for that site, painter, I added it to my favourites.

OvenMaster 07-01-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 2107)
.I always kinda liked that...Stickin' it to a bunch of arrogant New England Yankees...Mbwahahahaha...

I like you too, Sandy. :D I just wish I could find that grinning middle finger smiley. LOLOL

Sandy G 07-01-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OvenMaster (Post 2128)
I like you too, Sandy. :D I just wish I could find that grinning middle finger smiley. LOLOL

Present company excepted, of course, Tom...There WAS a lot of friendly-and SOMETIMES-a bit "testy" rivalry between the Framingham bunch & the Rogersville crew...The biggest problems we had were w/some of the manager types they sent down...Some of them WERE very antagonistic, & thought we were all a bunch of "Deliverance" types. We WERE, but once they got down here, & found out we didn't really bite-Too hard, anyway-things got better. I had to go up there a few times, & they couldn't have been nicer to me, though. Once I went up there in January, landed at Logan, by the time we got to F'ingham there was 22" of snow on the ground...I told 'em I appreciated the honor & all, but they coulda saved it for someone else...Damstuff wasn't even good snow-Very dry & dusty, you couldn't make a decent snowball outta it...Bigest thing I hated was I NEVER really got to see Boston- Typically, we'd land at Logan, haul @ss out to F'ingham, spend 2 or 3 days holed up in a hotel or at 300 Howard Street, which was where Dennison's headquarters was & then back to Logan & home. Once, I DID get the gal driving the limo to go thru town, she showed me Faneul Hall, The Constitution, the stadium, & where The Big Dig was. I was in their Purchasing Group, & once I hosted our group's meeting, I REALLY tried to "put on the Dog" for them-We have a "colonial" hotel-Actually, a "Jacksonian" era hotel, it was built in 1824, & I rented out the whole thing-all 10 rooms, & told the chef there to do his damndest. I think they were impressed...(grin)

Charles 07-01-2009 03:20 PM

Damn Yankees

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 2107)
Hehehehehe...In the late '70s thru '92, my company belonged to Dennison Mfg. Co, an "Office Products" supplier out of Framingham, Mass. They were into EVERYTHING, pens, Carter's Ink, but one thing they made that EVERYBODY knows about are the little tiny re-inforcements that kids put around the holes in notebook paper...The also had Therimage, a heat-setting decalcomania that went on soft bottles, like French's Mustard & a LOT of hair-care & related products. They bought us because WE printed labels, too, & they thought they could utilise our capacity. Didn't really work out that way, our presses were 36" web width, & Therimage works best on narrow-web presses, no more than 20" wide tops. Their pressmen & engineers never could get Therimage to run faster than 2-300 feet a minute, which is dreadfully slow. They put up a narrow-web press at our place, & us dumb ol' hillbillies who didn't know Jack Schitt about printing-so THEY thought, anyhow, soon had it running along at 4-500 feet a minute...With better register, less ink spots, etc to boot...I always kinda liked that...Stickin' it to a bunch of arrogant New England Yankees...Mbwahahahaha...

Ya know Sandy, th' war's been over fer 150 years. Even I quit runnin' people with Kansas plates offa the road.

Never did figger out why they thought honkin' that damn horn was gonna do 'em any good.

Chas

OvenMaster 07-01-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 2129)
Present company excepted, of course, Tom...

Of course! :)

Grumpy 07-03-2009 01:43 PM

Lets sticky this thread.

Grumpy 07-03-2009 01:44 PM

http://www.kimballmidwest.com/ Found this link on a chevelle site I hang on. They say 85% of their hardware is US made. Thats nearly unhead of when trying to find simple things such as nuts and bolts.

Twodogs 07-03-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 2205)
http://www.kimballmidwest.com/ Found this link on a chevelle site I hang on. They say 85% of their hardware is US made. Thats nearly unhead of when trying to find simple things such as nuts and bolts.

They are now in my favorites.:)

merrylander 07-04-2009 07:56 AM

Mine also.

BlueStreak 10-22-2009 01:42 AM

Hills Bros., MJB, Chock Full o' Nuts, Master Chef, Chase & Sanborn, Market Pantry, Kirkland, Javana, Dunkin Donuts, Albertsons and Meijer brand coffees are all American processed and packaged right here at my plant in Suffolk, Virginia. We sure would appreciate your business.

(Hope I didn't break any rules.)

Dave