Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Democrat Party - What's Next (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11138)

whell 11-12-2016 04:34 PM

Democrat Party - What's Next

Before the election, some had suggested that November would be the month that Reince Priebus would be shown the door, and that the Republican party would start tearing itself apart from within.

Post election, a very similar scenario is actually occurring with the Democrat party. Wasserman - Schultz - out. Brazille - damaged goods and barely keeping the chair warm for the next occupant. The Clintons and their legacy dispatched, replaced with the stinging memory of a loss to someone the Dems regarded as the weakest candidate for Prez they ever faced. The House and the Senate remain under Repub control and any hopes of retaking at least the Senate will have to wait.

So, what direction to the Dems go in preparation for 2018 and beyond? Do the progressives rise and grab control? Or do the Dems position themselves as the loyal opposition to Trump, which may be risky since the more centrist Dems and Trump might share some common ground.

All this is speculative, but would like to hear your thoughts.

bobabode 11-12-2016 04:43 PM

Did the FSB hack your account, Mike? You sound almost reasonable. ;)

Pio1980 11-12-2016 04:52 PM

He's done that from time to time, I'd previously asked who the imposter was and what he had done with the guy we thought we knew.
To answer the query, it depends on how the next four years play out. I'd see a convergence of Progressive and pragmatic libs into a re-energised party led by someones yet to be determined.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nailer 11-12-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 337808)
Before the election, some had suggested that November would be the month that Reince Priebus would be shown the door, and that the Republican party would start tearing itself apart from within.

Post election, a very similar scenario is actually occurring with the Democrat party. Wasserman - Schultz - out. Brazille - damaged goods and barely keeping the chair warm for the next occupant. The Clintons and their legacy dispatched, replaced with the stinging memory of a loss to someone the Dems regarded as the weakest candidate for Prez they ever faced. The House and the Senate remain under Repub control and any hopes of retaking at least the Senate will have to wait.

So, what direction to the Dems go in preparation for 2018 and beyond? Do the progressives rise and grab control? Or do the Dems position themselves as the loyal opposition to Trump, which may be risky since the more centrist Dems and Trump might share some common ground.

All this is speculative, but would like to hear your thoughts.

I could see a new centrist party forming out of your final idea. Trump might just be the catalyst who will bring many of our polarizing issues to a head.

finnbow 11-12-2016 05:04 PM

They could just play the party of no, on the McConnell model, and wait and watch as Trump destroys the GOP.

whell 11-12-2016 10:29 PM

They could do that, but I doubt that would play well with the progressives.

ZeroJunk 11-12-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 337820)
They could just play the party of no, on the McConnell model, and wait and watch as Trump destroys the GOP.

Sort of like Obama destroyed the Democratic Party. I mean, if this wasn't destruction I would like to know the definition.

BlueStreak 11-12-2016 10:40 PM

Maybe they'll just go to their safe place and get in touch with their inner child?

Pio1980 11-12-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroJunk (Post 337860)
Sort of like Obama destroyed the Democratic Party. I mean, if this wasn't destruction I would like to know the definition.

Obstruction, gridlock by the wingnut Right.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Oerets 11-12-2016 11:21 PM

Once the shock and awe wears off a bit. The Democrats just need to be patient, sit back and let the GOP and President T overreach, push the envelope. That will be enough to propel them back.

Barney