Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Suggestion Box (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I hope pcchat can be better than other political sites. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11172)

JCricket 11-19-2016 08:37 AM

I hope pcchat can be better than other political sites.

Hey Folks,
Deep breath and sigh............................

This is(was) the only political site I have ever been on that had at least a smattering of decency and information. With the current state of affairs, levels of frustration and fears, things have taken a nose dive. At one time we had a few resident trolls, but most people would continue to post ideas and have productive discussions. I still see some of that, but I also see a lot of "your this, but what am I " insult posts.

Here is a challenge for all of us, stating at midnight tonight, no one posts a single name calling, insulting, condescending post until midnight tomorrow. 24 hours of consideration and respect, possible?
I hope so.

best of luck to us....................

Rajoo 11-19-2016 12:02 PM

Politics and Religion are devised to divide people. So good luck.

Pio1980 11-19-2016 12:09 PM

There are folks who play the troll, or are provoked to react to trolling that foul the discourse of ideas.
It's not that much fun for folks who are here to get a broader interaction of ideas and perceptions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JCricket 11-19-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 339030)
There are folks who play the troll, or are provoked to react to trolling that foul the discourse of ideas.
It's not that much fun for folks who are here to get a broader interaction of ideas and perceptions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The reason i come here is to get insightful, intelligent feedback on ideas.

Maybe we do my suggestion tomorrow and next weekend we do the opposite. From Sunday 12:00 am to Monday 12:00 am we can only post if we include and insult or condescending remark with the post................

This might actually be challenging and fun

JCricket 11-19-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339027)
Politics and Religion are devised to divide people. So good luck.

I disagree. They were devised as tools to control people. If division is a by product of them, andit works to control people, then the controllers are happy. But I don't think it was the primary purpose of either.

bobabode 11-19-2016 12:22 PM

Sounds good to me.

nailer 11-19-2016 12:25 PM

Talking politics or religion in an open forum is going to be contentious.

HarmanKardon 11-19-2016 12:41 PM

As far as this forum does not get contaminated by the current so popular American hitlerism, as far as this forum remains a place of different opinions on the basis of democratic values, I will stay in here.

Rajoo 11-19-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCricket (Post 339036)
I disagree. They were devised as tools to control people. If division is a by product of them, andit works to control people, then the controllers are happy. But I don't think it was the primary purpose of either.

You may. :)

My earlier comment was based on the 'divide, conquer and rule' which an age old strategy. When was the last time you have seen political parties or religious factions merge?

nailer 11-19-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339048)
You may. :)

My earlier comment was based on the 'divide, conquer and rule' which an age old strategy. When was the last time you have seen political parties or religious factions merge?

For US it was probably prior to the Civil War for major parties. After the Civil War the slave/free split of the Methodists took decades to mend.

68custom 11-19-2016 01:00 PM

sounds good to me, I really try to avoid name calling except for Drumph (OOPS)!

donquixote99 11-19-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCricket (Post 338977)
Hey Folks,
Deep breath and sigh............................

This is(was) the only political site I have ever been on that had at least a smattering of decency and information. With the current state of affairs, levels of frustration and fears, things have taken a nose dive. At one time we had a few resident trolls, but most people would continue to post ideas and have productive discussions. I still see some of that, but I also see a lot of "your this, but what am I " insult posts.

Here is a challenge for all of us, stating at midnight tonight, no one posts a single name calling, insulting, condescending post until midnight tomorrow. 24 hours of consideration and respect, possible?
I hope so.

best of luck to us....................

This is better than most political sites you can find, but that's a very low bar.

Onbaord with challenge. Ignore my last previous post.... :)

Tom Joad 11-19-2016 05:02 PM

I'm in. I can do 24 hours standing on my head. :D

Don't expect too much to change long term.

Even on the strictest moderated boards 24 hours is about the limit any crackdown on this sort of thing will last before the system starts to be gamed and the insults start flying surreptitiously through the use of snarky innuendos.

JCricket 11-19-2016 07:57 PM

starts at 12:00 am eastern.

Rajoo 11-19-2016 08:04 PM

In order to be fair to those on the Left Coast, it should start at 3:00 AM Eastern time. :)

donquixote99 11-19-2016 08:43 PM

Hmmm...I'd better check the rules again.

Done. No name-calling, insulting, or being condescending.

First two no sweat, but the third may be tricky....

JCricket 11-19-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339103)
In order to be fair to those on the Left Coast, it should start at 3:00 AM Eastern time. :)

So be it: 3:00 eastern time

JCricket 11-19-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 339119)
Hmmm...I'd better check the rules again.

Done. No name-calling, insulting, or being condescending.

First two no sweat, but the third may be tricky....

I guess I should say that it counts even if the other guy doesn't get it.;)

donquixote99 11-19-2016 09:21 PM

And there's the type B error, getting it when it's not there.... :o

JCricket 11-19-2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 339127)
And there's the type B error, getting it when it's not there.... :o

For a very long time my wife thought I was really smart. She finally figured out she was the one making sense out of nothing. :D

She still loves me though. I am incredibly lucky to have her.

merrylander 11-20-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCricket (Post 339036)

You are right it was not their primary purpose but most anything they can be debased to serve the needs of control freaks.

merrylander 11-20-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 339041)
Talking politics or religion in an open forum is going to be contentious.

But it need not be assuming that we are all adults.

merrylander 11-20-2016 07:27 AM

But there is where it went wrong. He did not ask us to build Him giant edifices to be used so rarely. In fact He once said that 'wherever two or three are gathered together in my name there shall I be also.' No requirement to build a cathedral stipulated.

So if we start at 3:00AM EST I guess we end 12 hours later?

JCricket 11-20-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 339166)
But there is where it went wrong. He did not ask us to build Him giant edifices to be used so rarely. In fact He once said that 'wherever two or three are gathered together in my name there shall I be also.' No requirement to build a cathedral stipulated.

So if we start at 3:00AM EST I guess we end 12 hours later?

My idea was 24 hours. So 3:00 am Monday will be the end time.

nailer 11-20-2016 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 339165)
But it need not be assuming that we are all adults.

As if. :D

Tom Joad 11-20-2016 10:02 PM

I'm going to re-enlist for another 24 hours.:)

JCricket 11-20-2016 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 339343)
I'm going to re-enlist for another 24 hours.:)

I'll follow suit too. You did good!!!!
mark

Rajoo 11-20-2016 11:53 PM

Better to sin and repent than forced abstinence for me. This just does not seem normal.

Tom Joad 11-21-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339346)
Better to sin and repent than forced abstinence for me. This just does not seem normal.

I'm just taking it one day at a time.

And I'm making a payback list as I go along. :D

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...-kill-list.jpg

merrylander 11-21-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339346)

Are you suggesting that being insulting is normal behavior?:)

Rajoo 11-21-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 339358)
Are you suggesting that being insulting is normal behavior?:)

No, but forced manners is unnatural and boring. :)

donquixote99 11-21-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339365)

It's what comes after the 'but' that counts. You are arguing against civility.

Tom Joad 11-21-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339365)

It is boring isn't it?

But we're into the Holiday season now.

As a retired government worker I can tell you that not a helluva lot happens or gets done in government between now and after New Years. So there won't be much to discuss as far as political stuff except to rehash old shit. So it was going to be boring anyway for the at least the next 6 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KuH_RxUNE

Rajoo 11-21-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 339366)
It's what comes after the 'but' that counts. You are arguing against civility.

A 24 hour exercise in civility is just that, an exercise. What happens afterward when the exercise is over? The lid comes off and it's business as usual and more. Behavior moderation is done over a period of time and when people truly want and wish to change.

donquixote99 11-21-2016 11:50 AM

The point of the exercise, IMHO, was not to wave a magic wand and everyone becomes nice. The point was to nonetheless do an attitude check and try to be more nice, going forward, affirming the value of civility.

Rajoo 11-21-2016 12:22 PM

I do not agree with the title of this thread, having visited very many other political sites. Here we have a very small group of people speaking our minds and now for us to practice 'civility', one has to admit that we have been uncivil. I cannot do that.

donquixote99 11-21-2016 12:34 PM

No public confession is called-for, you don't have to admit anything to take on civility as a goal going forward.

I get the definite impression that you just don't like civility as a goal. Is that the case?

Rajoo 11-21-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 339375)
No public confession is called-for, you don't have to admit anything to take on civility as a goal going forward.

I get the definite impression that you just don't like civility as a goal. Is that the case?

You have a way of reading into others posts to fit your own agenda and/or belief system. The point I made was that a bi-annual exercise is civility is meaningless.

donquixote99 11-21-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 339377)
You have a way of reading into others posts to fit your own agenda and/or belief system. The point I made was that a bi-annual exercise is civility is meaningless.

I reported my impression as my impression, and invited you to confirm or not as you wished. Which contrasts with the way you have offered your assessment of me.

But thank-you for your opinions.

Rajoo 11-21-2016 04:45 PM

'Definite impression' is not reporting, its an assessment.
It's like "my mind is made up, go ahead and prove otherwise".
In fact, why are we even having this argument?