Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Sanders Surge (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9252)

Tom Joad 06-16-2015 04:39 PM

The Sanders Surge

I like Bernie and I will vote for him in the primary.

However I am afraid his support may be over-estimated due to the dedication of a relatively small number of followers. It may be like it was with Ralph Nader in 2000. He was drawing big crowds too, but in the end that translated into very few votes.

I would love to see his campaign catch fire and for him to win the White House. But realistically I don't see it happening.

Quote:

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has drawn huge crowds recently. He packed Drake University's auditorium, drew 1,000 people in New Hampshire, and the attendance was estimated at 5,000 at a stop in Minnesota.

Sanders has indicated that the numbers have surprised him. He told NPR that he's, "Stunned. Stunned. I mean I had to fight my way to get into the room. Standing room only. Minneapolis was literally beyond belief."
continued

Ike Bana 06-17-2015 10:09 AM

I'll vote for him in the primary as well. But in the end it doesn't matter to me much, as long as there's a Democrat in the White House nominating the next SCOTUS justice. The only thing I can see that will possibly save this country is a solid progressive majority on the high court. Congress is a joke. The Administrative isn't good for much outside of making the Congress look as bad as it is.

Rajoo 06-17-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Bana (Post 274974)
I'll vote for him in the primary as well. But in the end it doesn't matter to me much, as long as there's a Democrat in the White House nominating the next SCOTUS justice. The only thing I can see that will possibly save this country is a solid progressive majority on the high court. Congress is a joke. The Administrative isn't good for much outside of making the Congress look as bad as it is.

Agreed. Elections are based on money raised and Hillary and Jeb will easily outdistance their competition. Let's hope that Bernie can keep pulling Hillary to the left. As to the Republican field let's hope that Jeb gets derailed by the lunatics running in the primaries.

In the end it is the Scotus that is most important and this requires a Dem in the WH. Besides with a GOP president, every social program and education is going to be decimated even further.

BlueStreak 06-17-2015 11:36 AM

People are getting tired of the status quo in the American style Liberal vs. Conservative atmosphere. The rise of the far right of late, the Tea Party and the Religious Right is evidence of this, but quite frankly............those people are backwards idiots. Who the hell really wants their lives to be made HARDER and their jobs LESS rewarding? Morons, armed to the teeth everywhere you go? Preachers dictating social doctrine and lawmaking? Screw that.

What's more is the fact that more Americans travel abroad now than ever before.......

And they see that the horror stories of life in Europe and the wealthier Asian countries, countries far more Soshialistic than America...........is actually not all that bad.

I've often thought that as the world grows smaller and more connected, that Americans would come to see a much more clear view of the outside world and the propaganda lies foisted upon us by the existing parties and industry stooges would slowly peel away.

Regards,
Dave

Tom Joad 06-17-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 274983)
What's more is the fact that more Americans travel abroad now than ever before.......

And they see that the horror stories of life in Europe and the wealthier Asian countries, countries far more Soshialistic than America...........is actually not all that bad.

I've often thought that as the world grows smaller and more connected, that Americans would come to see a much more clear view of the outside world and the propaganda lies foisted upon us by the existing parties and industry stooges would slowly peel away.

Regards,
Dave

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Mark Twain.

finnbow 06-17-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 274983)
People are getting tired of the status quo in the American style Liberal vs. Conservative atmosphere. The rise of the far right of late, the Tea Party and the Religious Right is evidence of this, but quite frankly............those people are backwards idiots. Who the hell really wants their lives to be made HARDER and their jobs LESS rewarding? Morons, armed to the teeth everywhere you go? Preachers dictating social doctrine and lawmaking? Screw that.

Regards,
Dave

That implies that rock-ribbed conservatives have any interest whatsoever in vacationing overseas (other than all-inclusive Caribbean resorts, cruises, etc., where they get no inkling of foreign culture).

Tom Joad 06-17-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 274993)
That implies that rock-ribbed conservatives have any interest whatsoever in vacationing overseas (other than all-inclusive Caribbean resorts, cruises, etc., where they get no inkling of foreign culture).

That's OK.

Us Liberals are going to keep the borders open so that the foreign culture can come here. :D

Rajoo 06-17-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 274997)
That's OK.

Us Liberals are going to keep the borders open so that the foreign culture can come here. :D

Why thank you TJ. :D

merrylander 06-18-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 275019)
Why thank you TJ. :D

Indeed Merci Beaucoup.:)

VanishingPoi 06-28-2015 09:44 AM

Bernie Sanders Makes History By Raising More Money Than Every GOP Presidential Candid

According to The New York Times:

Mr. Sanders, the so************************t Vermont senator, running for the Democratic presidential nomination, has raised at least $8.3 million online through June 17, according to Federal Election Commission records. His campaign won’t file its initial report until July 15, but filings by ActBlue, the online fund-raising committee that serves as a conduit for Democratic campaigns, show that Mr. Sanders has brought in more money in May and the first half of June than any other Democratic candidate using ActBlue.
It’s likely that Mr. Sanders will report more than $9 million raised as of June 30, the deadline for midyear F.E.C. reports. That amount is larger than any Republican not named Mitt Romney raised in the first half of 2011.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/06/...candidate.html