Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   History (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Slippery Slope: Right!? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12597)

ebacon 01-21-2019 07:32 PM

Slippery Slope: Right!?

My wife divorced me a few years ago. As I venture back into the world of women I notice that their speech pattern has changed. They seem to answer with, "Right?!"

What is going on? Are they being prodded to believe that they are always right? To prod men into believing that they are always right?

There is something afoot and it's big IMO. I have never been told that I am right so much.

donquixote99 01-21-2019 08:59 PM

'Right!' might be a simple affirmation. 'Right...' can also be used in a sarcastic, ironic manner, indicating the speaker's actual feeling of disbelief.

'Right?' is used to seek confirmation, or perhaps to prompt a person with the suggestion that agreement is expected.

All long-standing usage. Fashions and fads in language do not, to the best of my belief, constitute evidence that 'something is afoot,' in the sense that someone is manipulating usage to further some agenda.

Chicks 01-21-2019 09:23 PM

Right? ;)

Dondilion 01-22-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 376693)
'Right!' might be a simple affirmation. 'Right...' can also be used in a sarcastic, ironic manner, indicating the speaker's actual feeling of disbelief.

'Right?' is used to seek confirmation, or perhaps to prompt a person with the suggestion that agreement is expected.

All long-standing usage. Fashions and fads in language do not, to the best of my belief, constitute evidence that 'something is afoot,' in the sense that someone is manipulating usage to further some agenda.

At times just another filler to language.

Dondilion 01-22-2019 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 376691)
My wife divorced me a few years ago. As I venture back into the world of women I notice that their speech pattern has changed. They seem to answer with, "Right?!"

What is going on? Are they being prodded to believe that they are always right? To prod men into believing that they are always right?

There is something afoot and it's big IMO. I have never been told that I am right so much.

Do you feel that majority of the times you are wrong?

JJIII 01-22-2019 06:48 AM

So, I mean, things change, right?

ebacon 01-22-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 376699)
Do you feel that majority of the times you are wrong?

Interesting question and that you asked it. I trust you.

When I began discussing politics on the internet I learned from a fellow gamer in South America. He taught me about the delicate nature of communication. For example we discussed something along the nature of politics and the three R's in America. The R's during the 1970's were Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. During the 1980's I heard the three R's reduced to the three L's of real estate. The L's during the 1980's were Location, Location, and Where It's At.

Those were good discussions for me in the 1970s. Not so much in the 1980s. The recordings of AC/DC overwhelmed walking and talking among teenage boys.

During my gaming peak around 2008 that fellow gamer in South America further refined the game to continental scale. He taught me that politics is about who gets what. Bam. No flags. He reduced nationalism to common sense of riparian law. Earth science.

donquixote99 02-07-2019 07:14 AM

The other thing politics is about is 'who gets to decide who gets what,' that is, who holds power.

Jack Horner 03-09-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 376989)
The other thing politics is about is 'who gets to decide who gets what,' that is, who holds power.

A Dem house is killing Trump.

Dondilion 03-10-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Horner (Post 377591)
A Dem house is killing Trump.

Indeed.
That is why I could never understand the inordinate fear of Trump to the point where the Dems have become opposites of themselves...such as warmongers, anti free speech fanatics.

The American system has enough check and balance to tie up any president.