Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Auto industry (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Reboot (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11944)

d-ray657 08-31-2017 08:49 AM

Reboot

I have spent most of my adult life using computers in one way or another. One of the easiest fixes when a computer locks up has always been ctrl-alt-del. I had never really thought of my car as a computer, but it was inevitable. Yesterday on the way back from lunch, my air conditioner quit working. Apparently the AC is computer controlled - it has a choice of manual operation or thermostat control. My associate suggested that I just needed to reboot to fix the issue. He was right. Got to the parking lot, turned the car off, turned it back on and got cold air.

I wonder how many other things we now use operate like a computer. My TV does. Obviously, most phones do. What else?

68custom 08-31-2017 09:18 AM

some of the luxuries we are afforded by the purchase of newer cars are offset by the intertwined and often complicated vehicle computers, but what can you do they are not gonna get any less complicated as time moves on. the can-bus system allows the various computers to communicate with each other.

Rajoo 08-31-2017 12:40 PM

Something similar happened to me also, the doors would not lock after we got out of the car in a public parking lot. Friend I was with suggested that I get back in, restart the car and then turn of the ignition using the ignition key instead of using the keyless feature. It worked.

As for other devices that need rebooting, just about any implement which is microprocessor controlled would be my guess. My Roku 4 reboots by itself frequently and now have a WDTV instead.

d-ray657 08-31-2017 12:52 PM

Some stereos now operate on a microchip. I imagine those would have to be rebooted sometimes. in manufacturing shops most of the machines are computer operated: the sheer, the brake, the plasma cutting, welding and on and on.

CarlV 08-31-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 360485)
I have spent most of my adult life using computers in one way or another. One of the easiest fixes when a computer locks up has always been ctrl-alt-del. I had never really thought of my car as a computer, but it was inevitable. Yesterday on the way back from lunch, my air conditioner quit working. Apparently the AC is computer controlled - it has a choice of manual operation or thermostat control. My associate suggested that I just needed to reboot to fix the issue. He was right. Got to the parking lot, turned the car off, turned it back on and got cold air.

I wonder how many other things we now use operate like a computer. My TV does. Obviously, most phones do. What else?

VW type 3's were using ROM computers in 1968. :)

bobabode 08-31-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlV (Post 360515)
VW type 3's were using ROM computers in 1968. :)

The venerable squareback wagons.

Rajoo 08-31-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 360523)
The venerable squareback wagons.

We owned a baby blue VW Squareback 1971, had fuel injected engine!!!
Was a great vehicle except had no A/C which became a bummer in Florida.

icenine 08-31-2017 05:50 PM

A good idea for a science fiction hero...The Rebootable Man/Woman.

In this novel about system restore the person is rebooted but time is not reset so it does not become a boring time travel cliche; however our hero would be aware of his or her reboot. The downside is you can't change history. The upside is that the hero realizes that rebooting 24 hours or even two years after the previous reboot is a total waste. So the hero waits to reboot when he turns 80 so he/she comes back physically as a 29-year old person, with another 30-50 year life span in front of them! Thus immorality is achieved!

Then the government finds out when the Social Security Administration notices that our
hero is still receiving their social security check at the age of 121.

Then the government takes the reboot secret from our hero, and rations it out to a certain elite. Then a civil war between the boots and the non-boots begins! The government rationalizes the restriction by maintaining that there would not be enough resources like food and water if everyone is given the firmware update. The old Malthusian argument.

JJIII 08-31-2017 07:05 PM

Whew! That must be some good $#!t! :D

Pio1980 09-01-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 360542)
Whew! That must be some good $#!t! :D

I'll have what he's having!