Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Latest Best Thrift/CL/Dumpster/Ebay Score! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=6740)

icenine 03-04-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 198942)
JBL L100t3 <grin>

I have yet to come close to a JBL score....and my only Altec score was the dreaded Santana IIs:eek:...they make excellent night stands though.

bobabode 03-04-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 198944)
I have yet to come close to a JBL score....and my only Altec score was the dreaded Santana IIs:eek:...they make excellent night stands though.

Those were from back when I used to check Craigslist every hour. Call the number within five minutes of the ad going up and immediately drove over.
$225, IIRC and they needed foams. They said the phone rang off the hook right constantly after I called with people trying to up the price. It's a tough one here in SoCal as there are so many knowledgeable AKers vieing for the good stuff.

($75) L80t3s are my nearfield 'puter speakers lately. Hooked up to those Maggotbox biamp firebottles. Bliss.

I really need somebody to give me a kick in the ass so I'll finally build the cabs for my Altec 604Es.:o

icenine 03-04-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 198947)
Those were from back when I used to check Craigslist every hour. Call the number within five minutes of the ad going up and immediately drove over.
$225, IIRC and they needed foams. They said the phone rang off the hook right constantly after I called with people trying to up the price. It's a tough one here in SoCal as there are so many knowledgeable AKers vieing for the good stuff.

($75) L80t3s are my nearfield 'puter speakers lately. Hooked up to those Maggotbox biamp firebottles. Bliss.

I really need somebody to give me a kick in the ass so I'll finally build the cabs for my Altec 604Es.:o

every now and then you can see people selling cabinets on CL but I imagine you need some high quality stuff for those...

bobabode 03-04-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 198949)
every now and then you can see people selling cabinets on CL but I imagine you need some high quality stuff for those...

I left the 40 yr. old factory bare bones and dried out particle board (620) cabs up in the attic. Not worth saving.

AKer Billforts' corner design out of 1" baltic birch is the way I'll probably go. What is kind of cool about the xover point (1500hz) is that my Maggies biamps have a built in xover point of 1100hz. It'll be interesting to see if they are a close enough match.

one1 03-04-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 198928)
Just wait for some Vandersteens Cleon, the search will be over. That is until you get hooked on building some Zilchlabs.;)

My main desires are some Wharf W90's,I thought about doing some Zilch's but decided to stay away from a wide dispersion mid/high,I like a good soft dome sound.I got a project going right now,I am going to keep it under wraps till I get it close should be my best build(I hope).

Wasillaguy 03-04-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 198951)
I left the 40 yr. old factory bare bones and dried out particle board (620) cabs up in the attic. Not worth saving.

AKer Billforts' corner design out of 1" baltic birch is the way I'll probably go. What is kind of cool about the xover point (1500hz) is that my Maggies biamps have a built in xover point of 1100hz. It'll be interesting to see if they are a close enough match.

Baltic birch from Finland? You better make sure Greenpeace is ok with that. Half the endangered species over there are forest dwellers, and they have problems with the water chemistry in many lakes too. Just buy some little earbuds and be happy.

bobabode 03-04-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasillaguy (Post 198958)
Baltic birch from Finland? You better make sure Greenpeace is ok with that. Half the endangered species over there are forest dwellers, and they have problems with the water chemistry in many lakes too. Just buy some little earbuds and be happy.

No, I'm not selling my 604s to you Was. ;) Besides Baltic birch comes from China and S. America these days.:rolleyes:

icenine 03-06-2014 09:43 PM

Onkyo p-3030 pre amp

some good cds yesterday I went out with a friend to a Mexican place in La Jolla....

found Ian Hunter, The Jam, Paul Desmond, Bryan Ferry and Sly and The Family Stone...oh and Mudcrutch

bobabode 03-06-2014 09:52 PM

Sounds like good pickings Robbin. Sure is funny how a Google search on just about anything audio comes up with pages of AK links. Looks like that pre has turntable capability. Cool!

icenine 03-06-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 199907)
Sounds like good pickings Robbin. Sure is funny how a Google search on just about anything audio comes up with pages of AK links. Looks like that pre has turntable capability. Cool!

It is really dirty on the inside but I have it running the 6v6 amp.....my Denon does not have bass anymore the pot or board is jacked. So I picked this one up for$25