Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   GOP Poisons Flint Michigan (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10012)

Boreas 01-28-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 299521)
Another cartoon fan... :rolleyes:

Sorry, but it was the City's decision - also voted by city Council - to move away from the Detroit Water System. They didn't obviously sign up for the mishandled interim Flint River solution, but is was clear that the desire to move off the Detroit system was viewed as the right long term solution.

"Mishandled"? So, how would you have better handled the "interim Flint River solution"?

donquixote99 01-28-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 299521)
Another cartoon fan... :rolleyes:

I just used the word because I know you like it.

Haven't seen the film, but by coincidence I'm about to. Just got the disk in this evening....

ebacon 01-29-2016 12:07 AM

This Flint story is getting old. It is basically a story of people arguing over how to maintain all the crap they built while they were rich. Like kids debating over which club member has to fix a step on a shitty treehouse.

Face it. Cities like Flint, and its Father, Detroit, are generations deep of horrible architecture. The quicker we all admit it the quicker we are to be willing to walk away from the messes for a minute, burn them down, and rebuild them right.

Before we can do that we need to address the issue of gentrification. For the honkeys, here is what that word means. Gentrification means that you built such a shitty city that you left black people in it to fend for themselves. They get pissed off when you come back looking for city water.

IMO we need to get over the gentrification hump. It starts with white people admitting that they built shitty cities.

whell 01-29-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 299525)
"Mishandled"? So, how would you have better handled the "interim Flint River solution"?

You want my take as "Monday morning quarterback", which will obviously come with a heavy dose of "knowing what we know now"?

Ok, you go forward with the plan to switch from Detroit's system, but you either wait until you can bring the water in from Lake Huron or wait to finish comprehensive testing of the Flint water source. Not that any of this makes any difference now...

CarlV 01-29-2016 09:26 AM

I will take whichever reverses lead poisoning in children. Seems to me if you don't like paying the disabled a pathetic liitle stipend you wouldn't create them to begin with.

Carl

barbara 01-29-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlV (Post 299556)
I will take whichever reverses lead poisoning in children. Seems to me if you don't like paying the disabled a pathetic liitle stipend you wouldn't create them to begin with.

Carl

From what I've heard, there is nothing that can reverse the effects of lead poisoning in a child.

Boreas 01-29-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 299559)
From what I've heard, there is nothing that can reverse the effects of lead poisoning in a child.

Or in anyone else but it's worse for children because of the negative effects it has on their development. Lead poisoning is forever.

CarlV 01-29-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Carl

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 299559)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 299561)
Or in anyone else but it's worse for children because of the negative effects it has on their development. Lead poisoning is forever.

I was being facetious and forgot the smiley. :)
Unfortunately the lead poisoning is forever and their civil rights have been violated. People should be prosecuted but I have a feeling our corrupt SCOTUS would find that non-disclosure is perfectly acceptable considering how wide spread lead poisoning actually is. Cha-ching. :(

Carl

finnbow 01-29-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Carl

It's called chelation therapy, a process used to mitigate internal exposures to toxic metals, including alpha-emitting radionuclides (e.g., plutonium). It can be a very hazardous undertaking.

CarlV 01-29-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 299569)
It's called chelation therapy, a process used to mitigate internal exposures to toxic metals, including alpha-emitting radionuclides (e.g., plutonium). It can be a very hazardous undertaking.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that.
Quote:

Chelation therapy must be administered with care as it has a number of possible side effects, including death. In response to increasing use of chelation therapy as alternative medicine and in circumstances in which the therapy should not be used in conventional medicine, various health organizations have confirmed that medical evidence does not support the effectiveness of chelation therapy for any purpose other than the treatment of heavy metal poisoning.

Nice.

Carl