Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Religion & Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   A brief theological question....... (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=1880)

Kamakiri 11-02-2010 02:05 PM

A brief theological question.......

Not for the purposes of debate, but rather to understand the background of the people posting. Do you have a faith, and do you practice it?

Born and raised Catholic, now belonging to an Assemblies of God Christian Church. I'm there every Sunday, and usually on Tuesday nights for a men's Bible study :).

d-ray657 11-02-2010 02:10 PM

Baptised and raised as a Methodist; still a Methodist. Even convinced my wife to return to church with me after she spent a few years attending a Missouri Synod Lutheran church. Being raised a Methodist has certainly influenced my world outlook. Some of you will differ on whether that was a positive or a negative influence.;)

BTW, Kam, don't you feel honored to have achieved senior status on PC.:rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow 11-02-2010 02:12 PM

Born and raised Catholic. Now I'm a devout agnostic with a deep abiding interest in other peoples' religions (seriously), and none in mine.

d-ray657 11-02-2010 02:21 PM

Finn,

Have you ever read any of the work of Huston Smith, the author of the major treatise on world religions? Several years ago, he did a series on PBS that was very well done. (That's the kind of stuff we Methodists study in Sunday School.)

Regards,

D-Ray

Kamakiri 11-02-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 43190)
BTW, Kam, don't you feel honored to have achieved senior status on PC.:rolleyes:

It's certainly not because I'm extremely politically savvy or because I'm a hard right wing or left wing anything. Wait a minute, that's most likely the exact reason.

That, and our brother Grumpy needed my help around the house :)

d-ray657 11-02-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakiri (Post 43195)
It's certainly not because I'm extremely politically savvy or because I'm a hard right wing or left wing anything. Wait a minute, that's most likely the exact reason.

That, and our brother Grumpy needed my help around the house :)

Actually, I was referring to you having reached 100 posts, which brings on senior status here. I had no doubt that you were well qualified to administer a forum, but do have some doubt whether administering our group of hooligans is an honor at all.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow 11-02-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 43194)
Finn,

Have you ever read any of the work of Huston Smith, the author of the major treatise on world religions? Several years ago, he did a series on PBS that was very well done. (That's the kind of stuff we Methodists study in Sunday School.)

Regards,

D-Ray

I haven't, but maybe should. Thanks for the tip. I've read a lot of books in recent years on Islam, Fundamentalist Christianity and Mormonism. I find religion incredibly interesting, but belief in any of them beyond my ken.

JJIII 11-02-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 43196)
Actually, I was referring to you having reached 100 posts, which brings on senior status here. I had no doubt that you were well qualified to administer a forum, but do have some doubt whether administering our group of hooligans is an honor at all.

Regards,

D-Ray

More like a burden that would drive a person to religion!:D

(Or drink.)

JJIII 11-02-2010 02:39 PM

I was brought up as a Presbyterian and confirmed in the Church at 12. Haven't been to a church of any kind for many years except to see someone married or buried. (Is there much difference?:)). I do think the early education has a profound effect on how I try to live.

merrylander 11-02-2010 03:03 PM

Broght up in the Union Church only because the village was too small to have seperate protestant churches, basically followed United Church (Methodists and some Presbyterians) orthodoxy. Married an Anglican the first time (like Episcopalians, commonly referred to as God's Frozen People back in Canada). Married a Catholic the second time, both of us so soured on chuches as institutions we no longer attend, do our praying right here at home since "Where two or more are gathered in my name, there shall I be also."