Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Unemployment Line (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hard work is the key to sucess (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9245)

noonereal 06-15-2015 06:07 PM

Hard work is the key to sucess

Someone on AK mentioned that hard work was the key to economic wealth and I replied, "nonsense."

He than asked why I said that. I said "experience."

He then asked, "Which part does your experience lead you to label nonsense? Have you worked hard on multiple occasions and achieved success each time or have you achieved success despite a failure to work hard?"

I then answered,

"Frankly my entire life experience has taught me this to be malarkey. Practiced and observed. There is a reason the best predictor of a child's future wealth at birth is the socioeconomic status of the parent at birth. It is the exception not the rule when one climbs in economic wealth with little to do with hard work.

I have seen all the myths exposed, from the poor being lazy to the rich being smarter.

As to me, the hardest job I ever had was exempt from minimum wage and overtime laws. I crawled...yes, crawled, under the hot sun, from one end of the field to the other, over and over, every day. 12 plus hours. Up at dawn, literally. What's a weekend?

The easiest job I ever had put me among the top 2%.

What I observed along the way shattered every catch phrase ever uttered on the virtues of how people rise socioeconomically and why. "

Though I'd post it here.

donquixote99 06-15-2015 06:46 PM

Agree completely. Who you are is much more important than what you do.

finnbow 06-15-2015 07:28 PM

The OP implies some sort of caste system. While the results may, in some instances, resemble a caste system, the causes are far more complex and nuanced. Educated parents (and those of certain cultures) tend to value education and a good education is a ticket-punch to success in our society.

Quote:

As to me, the hardest job I ever had was exempt from minimum wage and overtime laws. I crawled...yes, crawled, under the hot sun, from one end of the field to the other, over and over, every day. 12 plus hours. Up at dawn, literally. What's a weekend?

The easiest job I ever had put me among the top 2%.
Nobody disputes that digging ditches in the hot sun is easier than a sedentary white-collar job. And that's the exact reason that one should get a good education.

Rajoo 06-15-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 274779)
The OP implies some sort of caste system. While the results may, in some instances, resemble a caste system, the causes are far more complex and nuanced. Educated parents (and those of certain cultures) tend to value education and a good education is a ticket-punch to success in our society.

Nobody disputes that digging ditches in the hot sun is easier than a sedentary white-collar job. And that's the exact reason that one should get a good education.

Agreed. An education does not promise success but gives one a running start.

BlueStreak 06-16-2015 12:30 AM

The only thing hard work is sure path to is a bad back.

Now, "working smart"....... Well, now that's a much different story.

I'm thinking that it's far more complex an issue than simply "Do _____ and you'll be successful.".

merrylander 06-16-2015 06:31 AM

And put in lots of face time.

Dondilion 06-16-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 274804)

Now, "working smart"....... Well, now that's a much different story.

Yeah a really different story.

Tom Joad 06-16-2015 04:20 PM

When it comes to physical labor the general rule is, with very few exceptions, "the harder you work, the less you get paid".

VanishingPoi 06-28-2015 11:38 AM

Where and how are they going to get that education?

finnbow 06-28-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanishingPoi (Post 276505)
Where and how are they going to get that education?

School?