Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How to Live Without Irony (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=8761)

nailer 02-26-2015 01:26 PM

How to Live Without Irony

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...ut-irony/?_r=0

donquixote99 02-26-2015 02:26 PM

Moderation in all things. Shoot for living with not-so-much irony.

Dondilion 02-26-2015 05:22 PM

I like hipsters for their fondness for art and live music. But damn'it, everywhere
they go a horde of real estate speculators follow them. :mad:

BlueStreak 02-27-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 261343)
I like hipsters for their fondness for art and live music. But damn'it, everywhere
they go a horde of real estate speculators follow them. :mad:

Even in Detroit. The problem is that so many of these "hipsters" are just dope head party animals that really don't contribute much after Mom and Dad cut off the cash flow. Any positive effect they have on a blighted community is temporary at best. Remember; They are there because they think it's "hip" to live in a blighted shithole. They're slumming. And when they leave, they pretty much leave it the way they found it, or even worse.:(

Dave

Boreas 02-27-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 261363)
Even in Detroit. The problem is that so many of these "hipsters" are just dope head party animals that really don't contribute much after Mom and Dad cut off the cash flow. Any positive effect they have on a blighted community is temporary at best. Remember; They are there because they think it's "hip" to live in a blighted shithole. They're slumming. And when they leave, they pretty much leave it the way they found it, or even worse.:(

Dave

SoHo and Harlem in New York, the Mission District and The Castro in San Francisco, Federal Hill, Bolton Hill and Fells Point in Baltimore would tend to contradict your argument.

John

nailer 02-27-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 261366)
SoHo and Harlem in New York, the Mission District and The Castro in San Francisco, Federal Hill, Bolton Hill and Fells Point in Baltimore would tend to contradict your argument.

John

I shared the third floor of a Bolton Hill townhouse for two years with my brother, a MICA student, in the late 70s. When he graduated I moved to Temple Gardens on Reservoir Hill. Bagger Bob - urban pioneer. :)

Boreas 02-27-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 261370)
I shared the third floor of a Bolton Hill townhouse for two years with my brother, a MICA student, in the late 70s. When he graduated I moved to Temple Gardens on Reservoir Hill. Bagger Bob - urban pioneer. :)

I lived on Bolton Street at the same time. Before that in Seton Hill. (I was a bartender at No Fish Today.) Right now there's some serious gentrification going on in Canton, the other side of Eastern Avenue from Patterson Park. I'd sorta like to get back to Baltimore and check all that stuff out.

As I recall, before it fell on hard times, Reservoir Hill was Baltimore's upscale Jewish neighborhood. Gertrude Stein grew up there as did the Cone Sisters, who amassed one of the most important collections of Impressionist art in the world.

John

Pio1980 02-27-2015 11:03 AM

I just wear stuff that doesn't require ironing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nailer 02-27-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 261373)
I lived on Bolton Street at the same time. Before that in Seton Hill. (I was a bartender at No Fish Today.) Right now there's some serious gentrification going on in Canton, the other side of Eastern Avenue from Patterson Park. I'd sorta like to get back to Baltimore and check all that stuff out.

As I recall, before it fell on hard times, Reservoir Hill was Baltimore's upscale Jewish neighborhood. Gertrude Stein grew up there as did the Cone Sisters, who amassed one of the most important collections of Impressionist art in the world.

John

There's a good chance I bought more than a few drinks from you. Remember the blizzard? BTW, I road the Temple Garden elevators a few times with John Waters and his entourage and attended the premiere of Desperate Living at the UoB law library auditorium.

Pio1980 02-27-2015 12:38 PM

I don't 'get' the irony in hipsterism. O'henry wrote irony and I get that, so if what they are about is ironic, then their lifestyle should be disfunctionally disappointing.
That would be ironic.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk