Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Conspiracy theory corner (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I hate the french!!!! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7088)

BlueStreak 03-16-2014 05:56 AM

I hate the french!!!!

But, have no idea why.

Anyone care to explain?

Dave

donquixote99 03-16-2014 06:02 AM

It's just what people do. There a slot in the brain for 'enemy gang,' and some gang or other gets into it.

Tom Joad 03-16-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 202216)
But, have no idea why.

Anyone care to explain?

Dave

I don't get it.

I thought hating the French was a right wing thing.

Seems out of character for you.

donquixote99 03-16-2014 06:15 AM

C'mon. Haven't you ever seen 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail?' They're awful!

merrylander 03-16-2014 06:33 AM

I have no idea, having grown up among French speaking people and having a delightful French sister-in-law, rest her soul I cannot explain your feelings

Tom Joad 03-16-2014 06:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91WdbOm6JBM

BlueStreak 03-16-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 202219)
I don't get it.

I thought hating the French was a right wing thing.

Seems out of character for you.

;)

Dave

mpholland 03-16-2014 07:39 AM

Well 25% of me blows my nose at you. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

finnbow 03-16-2014 07:57 AM

Americans, and most particularly the Right, hate the French because they're so much like us. They're nationalistic, believe that others should speak their language, and tend to believe in their own exceptionalism. Moreover, they told us that invading Iraq was a bad idea and they were right. The nerve.:rolleyes:

I've traveled through France dozens of times and have never had an issue. In fact, I find it a pretty exceptional country - great food, great wine, great art, great skiing, great sights and beautiful women. What's not to like?

HarmanKardon 03-16-2014 07:57 AM

What would happen to a new PC member coming out as French? :eek:

Okay. Seriously - I heard about an aversion of Americans against French even in the "Simpsons" TV show. But I never undestood the reason for that. It must be a historical one, maybe when America was young ther was a severe incident and then as a result of this incident an aversion had been passed on by generations?

HarmanKardon 03-16-2014 07:58 AM

Posted simultaneously finnbow.

d-ray657 03-16-2014 08:22 AM

They gave us a big green statue, and won't let us forget about it.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 03-16-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 202246)
Americans, and most particularly the Right, hate the French because they're so much like us. They're nationalistic, believe that others should speak their language, and tend to believe in their own exceptionalism. Moreover, they told us that invading Iraq was a bad idea and they were right. The nerve.:rolleyes:

I've traveled through France dozens of times and have never had an issue. In fact, I find it a pretty exceptional country - great food, great wine, great art, great skiing, great sights and beautiful women. What's not to like?

I was being facetious in the OP. I was in the South of France for two weeks back in the '80s. Cannes, Nice and Toulon. Even Toulon wasn't bad, if you didn't behave like a jackass. Cannes and Nice were beautiful.

The dislike of the French most recently, I believe, was fomented by our own government over instances when we found ourselves at odds with them. Over the Iraq war, etc. Rightwingers fall for it more readily because...........well, they always seem to need foreigners to loathe.

I was once told that the French were why we "...ended up in Vietnam. To take care of something they were too weak to finish."

Ummmmm....... We never "finished" Vietnam, either.:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak 03-16-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 202255)
They gave us a big green statue, and won't let us forget about it.

Regards,

D-Ray

They gave us more than that.

How many Frenchmen died fighting in our revolution? Look at the contributions in aviation, art and science.

Dave

Oerets 03-16-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 202216)
But, have no idea why.

Anyone care to explain?

Dave

This Half Acadian hates the Tea party and knows why!:D

Personally if it because of their perceived smugness, opinionated vociferous bravado. The French come is a distant second to my fellow Americans.:D

Present company excluded of course, for now!

Barney

merrylander 03-16-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 202256)
I was being facetious in the OP. I was in the South of France for two weeks back in the '80s. Cannes, Nice and Toulon. Even Toulon wasn't bad, if you didn't behave like a jackass. Cannes and Nice were beautiful.

The dislike of the French most recently, I believe, was fomented by our own government over instances when we found ourselves at odds with them. Over the Iraq war, etc. Rightwingers fall for it more readily because...........well, they always seem to need foreigners to loathe.

I was once told that the French were why we "...ended up in Vietnam. To take care of something they were too weak to finish."

Dave

Probably because both militaries tried to fight a conventional war against an enemy that was anything but conventional.

Boreas 03-16-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 202246)

Sounds like California. ;)

John

Boreas 03-16-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 202247)
What would happen to a new PC member coming out as French? :eek:

Okay. Seriously - I heard about an aversion of Americans against French even in the "Simpsons" TV show. But I never undestood the reason for that. It must be a historical one, maybe when America was young ther was a severe incident and then as a result of this incident an aversion had been passed on by generations?

If it weren't for the French, we would never have gained out independence from Britain in 1776.

If not for the French, the British would have taken the country back in 1812.

How could we not hate those cheese-eating bastards? :D

John

Boreas 03-16-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 202256)

Dave

It's also important to remember that the French collapse in Indochina was precipitated in part by a broken promise. We had agreed to assist the French military at the siege of Diem Bien Phu. We promised to send US aircraft to assist the French forces being decimated there but, somehow, we just sorta didn't.

John

Dondilion 03-16-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 202282)
It's also important to remember that the French collapse in Indochina was precipitated in part by a broken promise. We had agreed to assist the French military at the siege of Diem Bien Phu. We promised to send US aircraft to assist the French forces being decimated there but, somehow, we just sorta didn't.

John

I guess we wanted to see them fail so we could take over the show. :D

Dondilion 03-16-2014 10:02 AM

Dave I believe the reason you hate the French is Charles De Gaul...he was
a pompous bastard.

He felt everyone and everything were inferior to the "French".

Anyhow I love the French they gave sanctuary to a lot of our musicians and treated our
non white troops - especially in WW1- with respect.

Boreas 03-16-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 202287)
a pompous bastard.

Anyhow I love the French they gave sanctuary to a lot of our musicians and treated our
non white troops - especially in WW1- with respect.

In WW1 the French took our black troops, notably the 369th Regiment of the New York National Guard, away from duty as stevedores or other types of manual labor and put them in the line. Even though these soldiers had been trained for combat, the higher ups in the US Army felt they couldn't be trusted in the line. The French even had to give these American soldiers French rifles and French helmets.

At the end of the war the French awarded the French awarded the entire regiment the Croix de Guerre for their service to France. When it was time to return they had a tough time finding an American ship that would carry them and, when they got here, they weren't allowed to march in the official 1919 Victory Parade.

Sometime between the wars, the black American dancer, Josephine Baker moved to France and established her life and career there. At the outbreak of WW2 she was recruited by French intelligence to spy on the Germans. When France fell, she began working for the Free French. After the war she was awarded the Croix de Guerre, the Rosette de la Resistance (Resistance Medal) and the Legion d'Honneur.

Many American Jazz musicians, like Lester Young and Dexter Gordon, moved to France after WW2 to escape Jim Crow and white racism. Some returned but many stayed.

John

merrylander 03-16-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 202314)
In WW1 the French took our black troops, notably the 369th Regiment of the New York National Guard, away from duty as stevedores or other types of manual labor and put them in the line. Even though these soldiers had been trained for combat, the higher ups in the US Army felt they couldn't be trusted in the line. The French even had to give these American soldiers French rifles and French helmets.

At the end of the war the French awarded the French awarded the entire regiment the Croix de Guerre for their service to France. When it was time to return they had a tough time finding an American ship that would carry them and, when they got here, they weren't allowed to march in the official 1919 Victory Parade.

Sometime between the wars, the black American dancer, Josephine Baker moved to France and established her life and career there. At the outbreak of WW2 she was recruited by French intelligence to spy on the Germans. When France fell, she began working for the Free French. After the war she was awarded the Croix de Guerre, the Rosette de la Resistance (Resistance Medal) and the Legion d'Honneur.

Many American Jazz musicians, like Lester Young and Dexter Gordon, moved to France after WW2 to escape Jim Crow and white racism. Some returned but many stayed.

John

PBS had a very complete documentary series on theat rigimennt and other blacks who fought in WW II. I recall one sailor who was assigned as a cook's helper. When the gunner handling one of the AA guns was killed this sailor took over and got himself a Japanese aircraft.

finnbow 03-16-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 202287)
a pompous bastard.

Kinda like the type of Americans who profess to hate the French (i.e., the ones who harp on American exceptionalism) without having set foot in France.

BlueStreak 03-16-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 202285)
I guess we wanted to see them fail so we could take over the show. :D

Then proudly claim glorious defeat ourselves. "Mission Accomplished" anyone?

Dave

Boreas 03-16-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 202328)
PBS had a very complete documentary series on theat rigimennt and other blacks who fought in WW II. I recall one sailor who was assigned as a cool's helper. When yj gunner handling one of the AA guns was kille this sailor took over and got himself a Japanese aircraft.

Yes, he was a mess attendant, basically a bus boy. That was at Pearl Harbor. I think there may be a famous photo of that, probably restaged like the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima.

Yes, here it is.

http://www.owensarchive.com/images/u...ine_vessel.jpg

Tom Joad 03-16-2014 12:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSfgNuXlSY0

piece-itpete 03-17-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 202258)
They gave us more than that.

How many Frenchmen died fighting in our revolution? Look at the contributions in aviation, art and science.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 202280)
If it weren't for the French, we would never have gained out independence from Britain in 1776.

If not for the French, the British would have taken the country back in 1812.

How could we not hate those cheese-eating bastards? :D

John

Agreed!

Pete

bobabode 03-18-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 202567)
Agreed!

Pete

Commie pinko! ;)

HarmanKardon 03-18-2014 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dance audition for the Moulin Rouge.

Encourage your inhibited right wing Americans to visit gorgeous France. Their hatred will be blown away instantly. :cool:

bobabode 03-18-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 202762)
Dance audition for the Moulin Rouge.

Encourage your inhibited right wing Americans to visit gorgeous France. Their hatred will be blown away instantly. :cool:

I'm afraid our neo puritan bible thumpers would be screeching about hellfire and damnation, whilst peeking between their fingers Chris. Not very many enlightened Berliners' in some parts of this country. ;)

djv8ga 03-19-2014 04:09 PM

Because they eat snails & crap like that. What's worse is that they only give you 5 slugs & charge you $40.00. :mad:

Dondilion 03-19-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203181)
Because they eat snails & crap like that. What's worse is that they only give you 5 slugs & charge you $40.00. :mad:

We eat a lot of crap too...shrimps, crabs and lobsters.

donquixote99 03-19-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 203186)
We eat a lot of crap too...shrimps, crabs and lobsters.

Sea bugs are tasty.

However, you forgot raw oysters. Those are much worse than snails. They at least cook the snails.

djv8ga 03-19-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 203188)
Sea bugs are tasty.

However, you forgot raw oysters. Those are much worse than snails. They at least cook the snails.

Oyster shots are the worst thing to eat EVER! It's like chewing on snot.

Boreas 03-19-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203190)
Oyster shots are the worst thing to eat EVER! It's like chewing on snot.

You don't chew raw oysters. You slide them out of the shell, onto your tongue and then straight down the old chute to the stomach, maybe with a little tartar sauce on them and DEFINITELY with the bit of seawater still in the shell. Wonderful! Take it from an old Marylander who has shucked and eaten more Chesapeake Bay and Chincoteague oysters than you can shake a stick at. Oyster shots are an abomination and no way for a poor oyster to meet its end.

Oh, and escargot is delicious! Little shallots, little parsley, lotta butter. Magnifique!

John

djv8ga 03-19-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 203215)
You don't chew raw oysters. You slide them out of the shell, onto your tongue and then straight down the old chute to the stomach, maybe with a little tartar sauce on them and DEFINITELY with the bit of seawater still in the shell. Wonderful! Take it from an old Marylander who has shucked and eaten more Chesapeake Bay and Chincoteague oysters than you can shake a stick at. Oyster shots are an abomination and no way for a poor oyster to meet its end.

Oh, and escargot is delicious! Little shallots, little parsley, lotta butter. Magnifique!

John

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Never again...YUK!
I'll stick with Tacos & Burgers.

Dondilion 03-19-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203217)
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Never again...YUK!
I'll stick with Tacos & Burgers.

I hope not the burgers like the ones being sold nearby...tough as leather. :mad:

djv8ga 03-19-2014 07:32 PM

Why did the French start using their tongues to kiss anyway? WTF?

Dondilion 03-19-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203232)
Why did the French start using their tongues to kiss anyway? WTF?

Where are we going with this one? :D