Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Snap Shots of YOUR Republican Party, 21st Century Style (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=6130)

finnbow 01-05-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 187194)
My mailbox has at the very least four to six appeals for veteran assistance in it every week. From Wounded Warriors, Disabled America Veterans, Starving Veterans, Blind American Veterans, and I forget the other two, but every week I get the same appeals from the same charities. WTF is going on and where is the VA?

I'm highly suspicious of such appeals. My guess is that a very small amount of those monies actually go to veterans as opposed to the principals of these various charities.

BlueStreak 01-05-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 187194)
My mailbox has at the very least four to six appeals for veteran assistance in it every week. From Wounded Warriors, Disabled America Veterans, Starving Veterans, Blind American Veterans, and I forget the other two, but every week I get the same appeals from the same charities. WTF is going on and where is the VA?

Better yet, why aren't all of those charities you mentioned able to make much difference? I thought letting the private sector handle it was the conservative mantra? Or, is it just that the charities don't operate off of their taxes and when the appeals for alms show up they can just toss them in the trash?

Yeah. The right LOVES our military folks & veterans, alright. Loves to let them do all of the dirty work, that is.

Dave

BlueStreak 01-05-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 187201)
I'm highly suspicious of such appeals. My guess is that a very small amount of those monies actually go to veterans as opposed to the principals of these various charities.

Just say it, Pat. Most of that stuff is just a ripoff. If private charities were so damned wonderful there never would have been any need for government involvement. But, there is, so....................:rolleyes:

Dave

merrylander 01-05-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 187203)
Just say it, Pat. Most of that stuff is just a ripoff. If private charities were so damned wonderful there never would have been any need for government involvement. But, there is, so....................:rolleyes:

Dave

Agreed, I started looking them up and decided that either far too much went to overhead or that they really were ripoffs. The problem is that when you give to some they sell their mailing lists.

So we have a couple of known good charities that we give to. For example, Florence left home at the stroke of midnight on her eighteenth birthday so we regularly support Covenant House because they seek out the runaways before the predators get them.

SPCA gets some as well although supporting four ferals is not exactly cheap. But they are delightful to watch. Besides seeing them alive and well fed must piss off the witch next door.:D

finnbow 01-05-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 187203)

Dave

There was a fairly well-publicized occurrence around here a couple of years back wherein some sort of "Breast Cancer Society" out of Baltimore was fraudulently soliciting money for charity (or more accurately, using ~5% for charity and the rest to line their pockets). A similar thing at United Way in northern Virginia which landed some folks in jail a couple years back. They were using a lion's share of contributions for salary and expensive junkets (i.e., vacations) and precious little to charity.

This sort of thing is quite common and the favored causes of the times (veterans, breast cancer) are frequent targets for such fraud.

CarlV 01-05-2014 03:31 PM

The Police Activities League here gets 12% from the telemarketers and the Firefighter Union circus drive gets them 15%. Certainly not 5% but still not diddly and they don't care who, these telemarketers, are trying to squeeze it from.

Carl

bobabode 01-05-2014 03:50 PM

A slightly humorous aside but has anyone noticed the tactic of putting nickels and quarters in the envelopes these outfits mail to you?

The assholes owe me a new shredder. :mad:

icenine 01-05-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlV (Post 187219)
The Police Activities League here gets 12% from the telemarketers and the Firefighter Union circus drive gets them 15%. Certainly not 5% but still not diddly and they don't care who, these telemarketers, are trying to squeeze it from.

Carl

yeah I used to remember the Firefighters calling me all the time...

Alumni associations are annoying too

icenine 01-05-2014 11:46 PM

King VS Paul

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics

I do not agree with Peter King on most things....
but I do agree with him about Rand Paul

no it is not the Borg vodka and orange juice talking lol....

hey Borg is from Cali!

BlueStreak 01-06-2014 02:04 AM

So, our biggest spy agency can't just go around telling the general public how they go about doing what they do?

Wow, I'm shocked.

Dave