Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   'Gov. Brown Signs Sweeping Climate Bill' (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10975)

bobabode 09-12-2016 02:16 PM

'Gov. Brown Signs Sweeping Climate Bill'

"California will become a petri dish for international efforts to slow global warming under legislation****signed by Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday, forcing one of the world’s largest economies to squeeze into a dramatically smaller carbon footprint.
“What we’re doing here is farsighted, as well as far-reaching,” Brown said at a signing ceremony at Vista Hermosa Natural Park in downtown Los Angeles. “California is doing something that no other state has done.”
The legislation, SB 32, requires the state to slash greenhouse gas emissions to 40% below 1990 levels by 2030, a much more ambitious target than the previous goal of hitting 1990 levels by 2020." LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html

Good.

nailer 09-13-2016 09:13 AM

Make believe legislation from the land of make believe.

Boreas 09-13-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 330536)

Yup, just like the ban on Tetraethyl lead.

whell 09-13-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 330536)

On one hand, you might have an argument that this makes sense because Cali is a huge agricultural state, and this legislation - ostensibly - was passed with the state's agriculture business in mind.

But balance that against the new Cali regs providing overtime pay to agriculture employees and one is only left with questions

Boreas 09-13-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 330556)
On one hand, you might have an argument that this makes sense because Cali is a huge agricultural state, and this legislation - ostensibly - was passed with the state's agriculture business in mind.

But balance that against the new Cali regs providing overtime pay to agriculture employees and one is only left with questions

Yeah, you Objectivists must really hate this.

It doesn't change the number of hours the ag workers will be required to work. It just changes the point where OT kicks in, from 10 hours to 8, over a 4 year period.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...nap-story.html

By the way, "Cali" is what foreigners call California. We don't and we don't like it much.

Rajoo 09-13-2016 11:23 AM

As a degreed Chemical Engineer, I applaud this bill. Besides these goals can easily accomplished with migration towards electric cars. MBZ is going to be offering six all electric models very soon. With the joint Panasonic/Tesla giga battery plant in Reno, the cost of Li-ion batteries is coming down rapidly.

There is a local company (Proterra) that has already developed all electric buses with an 18 hour run range.

CarlV 09-13-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 330563)
ol-sac-farmworkers-overtime-signed-20160912-snap-story.html[/url]

By the way, "Cali" is what foreigners call California. We don't and we don't like it much.

That is why he uses that dumbass term, he probably thinks the California state flower is the Califlower too. :p

Carl

Pio1980 09-13-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 330564)
As a degreed Chemical Engineer, I applaud this bill. Besides these goals can easily accomplished with migration towards electric cars. MBZ is going to be offering six all electric models very soon. With the joint Panasonic/Tesla giga battery plant in Reno, the cost of Li-ion batteries is coming down rapidly.

There is a local company (Proterra) that has already developed all electric buses with an 18 hour run range.

We need safe nuke power and a more robust grid to support the generalized use of electric vehicles. The enviremental ramifications must be included in consideration.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boreas 09-13-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 330568)
We need safe nuke power and a more robust grid to support the generalized use of electric vehicles. The enviremental ramifications must be included in consideration.

Yes, and clean coal too.

Rajoo 09-13-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 330568)

Increased use of solar power is going to increase available energy in the warm southern states. Besides it is a lot easier to scrub waste gases emanating in a power plant than it is to treat unburnt hydrocarbons from tail pipes.

As to nuclear energy, I do not see this on the horizon in the near future due to politics. Three Mile Island, Yucca Mountain, etc. are still in recent memory.

I actually wanted to specialize in nuclear engineering and coal gasification but even back then (70's), these technologies had lost their luster.